Thursday, June 11, 2009

Some things

Tomorrow we are leaving for our anniversary camping trip. I am really excited! I kind of wish we could be getting away for longer, but such is life. I am getting really burnt out at my job, and my schedule is basically the opposite of Matt's right now, which sucks.

I didn't realize how hard it would be to work while being so pregnant. Standing up for eight hours is hard enough when you are not prego, but by the end of a day of work my feet are killing me. Things are out of reach, and it's getting to the point where I can't even move things so that they are comfortably within my reach. That's hard. Especially if I am working with someone who is not understanding or helpful... that makes the whole thing worse.

I am allowed to take breaks more often now, but physically there is no possible way to do it, because we never have enough people working. I feel like it is reasonable that I should at least be able to take my breaks when they are required for normal (aka non-pregnant) employees, which is once every two hours, but even that can't happen. Most days I go three or four hours without being able to even sit down, and that makes me pretty feisty. Which, as you can imagine, is not ideal in a customer service type setting. I feel myself getting more short-tempered. I have a little less than two months to go, which is a long time to be so unhappy and uncomfortable...

The other thing is that my maternity leave is proving to be a difficult situation. I can't really go into detail, but I am starting to get a little worried about my job and whether or not I am going to be treated fairly for the next few weeks (and when I return). It is frustrating. I know that there are laws to protect me but I don't want to have to struggle for something that I have been promised. I suppose I don't yet know what the outcome will be, but I'm starting to prepare myself for the possibility that this may not be easy or go down quite the way it should.

The last vacation I took that was more than two days long was last summer for our wedding and honeymoon, and two days away from your job is not really long enough to feel refreshed and renewed... I want a solid vacation, and unfortunately this year it isn't going to happen. I'm looking forward to getting away from work and spending time with our baby, but that's not the same as taking a week off to relax. Which is what I really want.

Anyway, all of that aside, I am really excited to be going away for the weekend and spending time with my husband. I'm sure this is our last pre-baby getaway, so hopefully I will have plenty of energy and we can make the most of it and do some fun stuff together. I am looking forward to pwning him at mini golf. :) And showing him the sights around Fort Stevens 'cause he's never been.

4 comments:

Mark Owen said...

Have a great time camping! Matt will like Battery Russell and Ft Clatsop, I'm sure. If you rent bikes, the loop in Ft Stevens is flat, paved, and nice. Enjoy!

K said...

Ah fun! I LOVE Fort Stevens!

ashby said...

my money's on you. have fun!

ashby said...

my roommate just informed me that Krispy Kreme makes a 'coffee cream' donut with coffee cream in the middle and dark chocolate on top.

MUST. TRY. NOW.