Sunday, October 26, 2008

Real Simple is the best magazine ever

My coworker Amanda turned me on to this magazine recently and I freaking love it. It's like someone just handed me a life manual.
It has tips on everything from how to organize your kitchen to how to throw a party to how to get over illnesses. I even learned how to extend the life of a bouquet of flowers (a cube of sugar and a penny, store it in the fridge overnight). It's like every good tip that your mom would ever tell you all pulled together in one amazing package.
It's just nice, because being a new wife and homeowner can have its stresses. I have some high ideals. I'd love to be the wife who can pull together a gourmet dinner like it's nothing or set a table like a Crate and Barrel catalog. If I'm being totally honest... I have to admit that Martha Stewart is one of my heroes, and if I could emulate her (except for the jail part) I would be thrilled.
Anyway... I'm not really sure how to word it, but there it is. I just really enjoy my domestic pursuits. And yet there are the occasional phone calls to my mom to ask her what I can substitute for rice wine or how to make roman shades or whatever. And now I have a publication to answer ALL OF MY QUESTIONS ABOUT EVERYTHING.
So, in short, Real Simple is amazing. Seriously. And I know I've lost what remaining audience I have by this point in my post (probably my mother-in-law and possibly my husband) but there you have it. I just love how practical it is.
I love it so much I am posting about it well past midnight when I should be sleeping...

Kristin, I hope you read this at some point, because I know YOU share the love.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are doing great in your "domestic" pursuits! You made us a great dinner a couple of weeks ago, and made a beautiful, homemade pie this week. That's a pretty good start!

Stephanie said...

i read the whole thing, and i love real simple.

K said...

Heheh, guilty. I totally do.

PS - I bought your (and Matt's) Christmas present yesterday :)

Anonymous said...

Ciara, why would you lose my attention? You know I share your love of home, Martha and HGTV!!!!!!! Now I am just waiting for a homemade pie! You are doing great, and I love the effort and accomplishment. You go with your bad a-- self!! Love you, Vicki