Thursday, October 16, 2008

Goodbye Porter

On Monday my parents finally put down our dog, Porter. He was 16 years old, blind and deaf and couldn't really move very well, but I went and saw him on Sunday and he still seemed pretty happy.
I knew that this was going to happen, and I haven't really grown up with the same feelings for my pets as some other families have (like the Hartzells-- they really cherish their pets; this is something kind of new to me). However I did shed a few tears before and after saying goodbye to Porter.
The thing that makes me the most sad is not that he had to go, because everyone and everything will die some day. But my parents dropped him off at the vet and left. I think it would have been kind of nice to be with him since he was probably scared and alone.
Anyway, that's all I have to say about that.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's very hard to lose a pet. Porter had a great long life!

ashby said...

: ( poor Owens.

also...yeah. when our family put our dog down, my brother held her- and I held my mom.

it was REALLY sad but I couldn't see it happening any other way.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry sweet-heart but it was time. Yes I agree your Mom and Dad should have been there but everyone treats these things differently. I myself am glad he is not tethered to the corner in the kitchen anymore, he is free. And please know that when animals are put down there are gentle people around them. Porter was a sweetie....

Dave Ketah said...

It is certainly very difficult!

I have had to euthanize 2 dogs. One, I was with him as he drew his last breath, the other was when we were on vacation, and the in-laws were there. I think it was so much harder to be there.