Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fleas

What I am about to say is likely going to incur the wrath of my husband and without a doubt that of my extended family, but in the interest of openness and honesty here it comes:

I have discovered that I do not particularly enjoy being a pet owner.

I think it has something to do with both the disposition of our cat and the plethora of medical problems he has had in the last year or so. And maybe also that since I have become a mom caring for him has become primarily my responsibility instead of Matt's.

I think I used to kind of enjoy Zeus when I was pregnant and had lots of time but didn't have to take care of him at all. I have a handful of memories of us cuddling and even once showing some of my coworkers pictures I had taken of him on my phone. But that is the only time in the history of my relationship with Zeus that I remember our bond progressing even slightly beyond mere tolerance.

Even though I feed him, water him, change his litter box, pet him, play with him, let him sleep in our bed, clean up his puke, give him medicine, take him to the vet and even cuddle him on occasion (when HE allows it) my reward from him is usually a hiss or a bite. Lately, he's even batted at/bitten Kisa once or twice, which makes my blood boil.

Soooo. His most recent thing is fleas, which I am terrified of. After we found one flea on him I literally have spent the past 2 1/2 days scrubbing our house and washing everything in sight. I haven't seen a flea anywhere else besides on him or dead on the floor, but I am panicked by the idea of little bugs crawling around our house biting us and laying sick eggs. Even I can see that I am slightly over-reacting (I'm pretty sure the pros aren't as thorough as I have been) but I don't care. I don't want a flea-infested house or cat.

Anyway, in the midst of all of this, I have felt about 10% bad for Zeus and about 90% annoyed. I feel bad saying that, because you are supposed to love your pets, right? But I was not raised to have familial-type love for animals and having an actual child makes everything relating to the cat seem so much less important.

Now... before you judge. Please re-read the list of things I do for him. I do everything for this cat. I am the one who notices when he is sick and does something about it. Were it not for me, I doubt we would have noticed the flea situation for at least another week until they started to attack us or multiply out of control. So... it's not like I ignore him or neglect him. I'm not mean to him. But I have begun to think of him as the "weird uncle" of our family, the one you just have to tolerate because he's in your family whether you like it or not.

Zeus is one of the not-so-small things I have compromised on out of love for my husband, and in the last several years I have not complained much about him, so maybe it's just reached a pressure point or something. Regardless. It feels good to have gotten it off my chest.

Lastly, to my dear family members: let me just clarify that I am not saying I hate all animals. I enjoy your pets from a distance, similar to the way that one enjoys being an aunt or uncle but doesn't want to be a parent themselves.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I can help take care of Zeus more.

Anonymous said...

I see the joy that pets bring to people on a daily basis and the lengths they go to to make sure their furry family members are taken care of. Each persons idea of family is different. I believe if you had a better experience of being a pet owner you may change your mind :)

~Ash

Anonymous said...

Oh, our beautiful Ciara, I am not surprised you feel this way. I have seen the way you are with our pets. I can see you tolerate them at best. I am sorry that Zeus is not the kind of pet that can show you how much love they bring. He is an angry cat I think. He doesn't seem to enjoy any people, except Matt at times, and I just don't think he feels great on an adverage. Also, if he is biting Kisa that is absolutely untolerable and needs to be stopped. Anyway, suffice to say that Sam is really the first animal I have had who has shown me what pets can bring. Growing up we had a dachsund who I loved but he had a pretty nasty disposition also. Then when the kids were younger we had Sandy our beloved collie who was as sweet as could be, but she took a back burner to the kids. All that aside, Sam has shown me a love that I really never knew. Humans are uncapable of unconditional love, but he is not. He has shown me what acceptance and tolerance is and has become my best friend. I pray that someday you will know this kind of love from an animal but you have to be open to it. I also pray that you raise Kisa to love animals and enjoy them. She really seems to have fun with Sam when she sees him!!! Zeus just hasn't been the best pet for you to have as your own but keep an open mind. If I have said it once I will say it again. Dog is God spelled backwards and there is a reason for that.... P.S. Snuggles is pretty special too. Her name really fits her... :) Vicki

Mark Owen said...

Yeah, we had several pets while you were growing up, dogs Porter and Mary, a turtle and a rabbit. None were great experiences and each had their traumas. I loved my dog growing up, he was a friend when no one else was, and was always ready to play. But they need space, and they require a lot of maintenance. Anne and I will not likely ever get another pet unless one of us dies or needs a seeing eye dog or something. myabe if you have two or three kids and a big yard you might reconsider...
Marko

Ciara said...

Yeah Dad, I am starting to understand why you made us beg so hard for a dog and promise we would take care of him (sorry that I broke my promise). It is just a lot of work on top of the work I already do as a wife and mom. I get it.

I know that Kisa loves animals; I wouldn't dare try to squash anything she enjoys (or Matt for that matter). I wouldn't be surprised if someday, when we can afford the luxury of a backyard, we got a dog. Maybe even another cat with a sweeter disposition.

Anyway, I do have a lot of fond memories of Porter, and I would say that I loved him a lot. I cried when he was put down and still think of him sometimes and feel sad. I look forward to playing with him again someday in heaven if that is in God's plan. But even with Porter I wouldn't say I had a special bond. I don't even really think of him as ever being my dog. He was more Daniel's.

Unknown said...

Hey.

Let's not trash talk my cat.