Saturday, January 17, 2009

some names I have crossed off my list

I have always liked having an "original" name... not a lot of people in the states have the name Ciara, or, if they do, they don't spell it and/or pronounce it the same way. I like feeling unique and even though I know there are more people with the same name out there, I don't run into them often and that makes me feel good. Which is why I want to give my kid a name just unique enough that they won't be sitting in class with 4 other kids of the same name.
That being said, I am working by process of elimination, and have decided not to name him/her any of the following, because they are the most popular baby names of 2007:

For boys:
Jacob
Michael
Ethan
Joshua
Daniel
Christopher
Anthony
William
Matthew
Andrew

For girls:
Emily
Isabella
Emma
Ava
Madison
Sophia
Olivia
Abigail
Hannah
Elizabeth

I have to admit I am a little surprised at some of the names that are in the top ten... Ava and Madison? I had thought those were a little more rare.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Good call. Go unique, but not overly so. Not so much so that no one can ever pronounce your children's names. Not so much so that they never meet someone with the same name. Give their names good meanings as well. I'd suggest meanings like "Founded of Jahovah" and "God's Jewel." :O)

Double check the popular name list also. Watch out for variations of the same name that come in numbers 12, 19, and 34. Thus making it a more popular name than number 1.

ashby said...

what is interesting about this list is that the boy names are pretty classic and common- I mean, in all generations (not just in babies). whereas the girls' names aren't- I don't know many people in their twenties or even teens with those names. (well except Elizabeth.) also they are really old fashioned names...

anyway. Chris Lindgren and I are VERY good at coming up with baby names. really. we are. just ask Beth...and Angie!

Anonymous said...

"Troy" fits all of Angie's criteria!!!! I say go with that for a boy... maybe even consider it for a girl. :)

Dave Ketah said...

David.

chris lindgren said...

Ashby: I still like Christmas Champagne, cause it works for a boy or girl!