Thursday, April 02, 2009

a poem

Recently my blog may have attracted quite a following. And by that I mean two coworkers now know of its existence and may someday visit it (but probably not). Regardless, I have decided to step it up a notch.

I may have already posted this once before, but it was probably about 5 years/500 posts ago, so no one will remember. This is a translation of a poem I wrote my senior year of high school for a french assignment. It is so much better in french but unfortunately I have lost the original and the ability to re-translate it so now all I have is the english version (and a snippet of the french over there below my picture).

When the shadows on my windowsill
Become sunlight dancing through the panes
and I've danced along upon this street
and felt the brush of gentle rain...

My whitewashed mind, it walks alone
Upon a beach bright as the dawn,
With waves that break over the rocks
and whisper to me, "Time goes on."

The thoughts that run across my mind
In patterns like the wings of doves
Leave me to try to catch their flight
In search of morals, truth and love.

The bare feet of my youthful mind,
Splashing free in salty tides,
Know nothing but the haggard seagulls
And the selfish way in which they pry.

To indulge my childhood pleasures
I let my innocent thoughts run free
and in my fingers hold a pencil
To record the things I see.

But upon this beach there is naught to find
But rocks and waves and pure white sand
and I know the world has more to offer
Than the grains I hold within my hand.

So away from the beach I slowly stride,
and leave childhood to play alone.



Does anyone out there speak two languages fluently enough to read/write? Because as much as I hated taking french, I used to love translating between the two. English is so raw and clunky in comparison. I have an abysmal accent, but if I still remembered how, I would always write in french because it is so beautiful and poetic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heyyyy.... I remember this...

Becky

beatlesxforxsale said...

Becky... I miss you.