Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Choke

I made the following baby foods today:

-Peas
-Mango
-Cantaloupe
-Blueberries
-Cherries
-Yellow Squash
-Potato
-White Grapes
-Lentils

Plus, I learned how to make my own blueberry juice.

It is really an exhausting process, but I prefer to do it all at once, and I think this may be the last time I have to do it... Kisa is getting to the age where she will start eating Real People Food very soon.

She would probably already be eating less pureed food if it weren't for the alarming number of choking incidents. On Sunday she choked on her dinner and after securing her safety I had a complete mental breakdown and sobbed in the bedroom for about 5 minutes. I realize that choking occasionally is a common and inevitable part of childhood, but it is REALLY disturbing watching your child struggle for air. I would go to extreme lengths to prevent this from happening again (for example, I spent over an hour today peeling a bunch of grapes because they are a common choking hazard and I just didn't want to take the chance... extremely tedious!).

I know that regardless of my best efforts to protect her, this stuff will STILL happen... which is the absolute WORST part of being a parent. :(



P.S. I know the heimlich, baby heimlich, and infant CPR. Should I ever need it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I remember a little baby girl who stopped breathing completely, turned blue, and we had a panicked rush to ER (by which time she was fine). Soon she was eating again and grew up to be a fine mother (:

Anonymous said...

Ash used to choke alot. It is very scarey and upsetting but I know she is in good hands. And I told you about the croup Matt and Ash used to get with trips to the ER. You are a great Mom Ciara and Kisa is blessed to have you and your expertise. It makes me feel secure too... :)

Ashby and Abram said...

also terrifying: groups of kids on swings.

my heart stopped beating numerous times while teaching prek. : )