Monday, February 28, 2011

I'm gonna be honest: I don't really feel like blogging. However, I have been neglecting this blog for a long time, and if I don't push myself, the situation will perhaps deteriorate entirely.

So I will give this my full attention until: a) The dryer goes off or b) my daughter wakes up from her nap, whichever comes first.


----------
My body has been doing some weird stuff lately. Since my thyroid diagnosis, I have been taking medication that has a side effect of speeding up my metabolism. This is super awesome. After spending a whole lifetime as the woman who eats a burger and gains five pounds, I find it extremely gratifying to be able to eat what I want without gaining weight.

But. Is that really a blessing? In the past I have had to be very careful about diet and exercise. There are times when that is stifling and annoying, but overall I think it has led me to good health habits and positive self-image, despite having to pass on cake or bacon from time to time.

So, I am still trying to watch what I eat. Perhaps not the portions as closely as I used to, but at least what goes in. Because you can look great and be totally unhealthy.

In other news, one of my lifelong goals has been to be able to confidently wear a bikini. I do not know why this is a goal, because I don't think I would actually wear a bikini even if I had a killer bikini body. I am one of the most modest people ever (like refuse-to-breastfeed-in-public modest), so I believe in being fully clothed. But, I would really like to try on a bikini at the store and look fantastic in it, then put it back on the shelf and go home (or maybe buy it and wear it just for Matt).

Anyway, I do not even know if this goal is achievable. Let's face it, motherhood does not do wonders for your abs... and there's only so much exercise can do to undo the fact that you carried a human being in your gut for nine months. But, I am going to try.

SO anyway, I have set up a cardio and weight lifting regimen for the next three months and hope to be toned up by the end of them. If not bikini-ready, then at least in better shape, right?!

Aaaaaaaand there goes the dryer! :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're going to need something more than those 5 pound weights...

Ciara said...

We'll see. I must have no muscles cause my legs are very sore today.

Tyler said...

Ciara - I've started weight training too. I love my zumba classes and cardio, but I've never really enjoyed lifting weights. When we joined our gym, I met this great personal trainer and she showed me some weight lifting exercises that are easy to do at home - like commercial breaks on Survivor :) I would love to get together sometime (maybe in the park?) and exercise! See you tomorow!

Tyler