Wednesday, September 12, 2007

talkin' 'bout my generation...

I have been trying to work on being more thankful and optimistic lately, and even though that is sometimes hard to do looking at Ethnos (sorry guys, hopefully no one takes offense at that, I'm just being honest) I have found some things I am excited about.
I love that I am young, and that where I stand right now I am on the brink of some incredible and exciting things. I love that my education, my career and my family are spread out before me as opportunities and endless possibilities.
I was having breakfast with Kristin a few days ago, and we were talking about marriage and premarital counseling and such. And I realize how excited I am for her. And not just her, but Kevin and Tiffany, and my brother's friend Jessica, and Matt's friends, and all the young couples who I know that are getting married. These things make my heart literally overflow with joy. There is so much potential and beauty.
And not that this only relates to marriage, because it doesn't. It relates to youth. And new choices and a clean slate. Because at this point, your relationships or your education or your career can still be whatever you decide to make them.

I don't know how to express it... it's just exciting. And you know that saying, "youth is wasted on the young"? That's dumb. I don't believe it's true.

Anyway, I relate this to marriage because that is the current place we are at; my friends (and Matt's friends) are tying the knot. And despite all the horrible places I have seen that decision end, it is beautiful and new, and we are not bound by the mistakes of our parents. And that is definitely worth joy and celebration.

1 comment:

Linger said...

"... we are not bound by the mistakes of our parents."

I totally agree, yet I should note that if and WHEN ;-) you enter pre-marital counseling you should definitely review both you and yours' familial patterns. No matter how much freedom we have in our own decisions and influences, we should always be mindful about how much influence our parents/families have/had on us. It's crucial to review and prepare for because as you grow into a relationship with your loved one, you will find that those characteristics draw themselves outward rather quickly and subversively.

Anyways, not to blab more, but youth is youth and your perspectives will (or at least mine have, sometimes not by choice) change; hopefully, for the better. ;-)

Enjoy youth! Not to ssay I feel old, but I remember that that period of time was full of excitement and energy as friends were getting married, graduating, getting jobs, etc. etc.

Peace...