Monday, February 02, 2009

I am eating a chocolate cupcake as I write this.

Let me just say that our cat is not the friendliest of cats. I have grown to love him over the past couple of years, but I am by no means blind to his faults. He is feisty, whiny, and I've seen him hiss at more than one person in the past few months. But, he has one really adorable habit that I love. One of his favorite things is to crawl up in front of you when you are typing on the computer and lay down between your arms and snuggle. It's pretty cute. He also meets you at the door when you come home from work, sort of like a dog, and he'll meow and let you pick him up and cuddle him for a bit.
Apart from that he will never cuddle with you, unless you are sleeping, which is not quite as cute, because it wakes you up, and waking up a sleeping pregnant woman is never a good plan.
We just had a fun/relaxing weekend with our friends Brent and Amy and their 6-month-old daughter Sofia. It was our first time having guests stay with us, so that was a little interesting. It was kind of a mad scramble to get the house ready. Luckily their daughter isn't crawling yet because our house is nowhere near baby-proofed.
Anyway, we had good times, saw all the Portland sites, and Matt and I got to get a little taste of what it's like to be around a baby. I feel like we may be slightly misled because Sofia is not only the cutest, but also the easiest baby I have ever met in my life. She hardly cried all weekend, she slept all night, and when she was awake she was always smiling and giggling.
It was weird for me though. I felt very excited being around a baby, and it almost made me wish our baby would come sooner since I am so eager to meet him/her and play with them. It also made me anxious, though. Amy was very open with me about what a challenge it was juggling parenting and school, what effect it had on their relationship, and the financial burden (which will be considerably greater in our case). And it was a lot of work keeping her fed, rested, clean and entertained. It's one thing to play with a baby for a few minutes, it's a totally different thing to be stuck with one all day long.
So, I am, and probably always will be, still conflicted about becoming a parent.
On the plus side of things, I saw like 15 hot moms this weekend with babies around 6 or 7 months, which made me feel hopeful, since I read an article last thursday about post-pregnancy body issues. Needless to say, I don't want to get fat, but more importantly, I don't want to feel bad about myself. I think the way you feel has a greater impact on your appearance than the way you're shaped. And I hate to read about moms who think they need plastic surgery to repair their distorted post-prego bodies.

In other news, last week was a looooooooong week at work, complete with all kinds of drama, but it's beginning to look like things are looking up around the ol' workplace, and that has elevated my mood a bit. In addition, I am no longer feeling nauseous for the most part (thus the cupcake) and I don't need a nap today. In fact, I'm about to go exercise right now. AND it's sunny outside. So there's no reason to not be totally happy.

P.S. my cupcake was delicious, if you're wondering.

No comments: