Friday, February 06, 2009

movies!!

I've had this headache for like 4 days... ugh.

So, I have made a new resolution for myself (and thus for Matt as well). I am going to attempt to polish off the Top 100 movies by the time my baby is born. I have been chipping away at this (ever so slowly) for the past five years and now it's time to step it up a notch. I have 38 movies to go (36 of which are attainable, and 2 of which will require a ton of effort and/or money to find).
I currently have 13 of these movies in my possession and my plans for today include two musicals (An American In Paris and Yankee Doodle Dandy) and, if possible, Fargo.

On a related note, yesterday I watched Tootsie and it was fantastic! Funny, well written and well acted. Plus, I enjoy watching these movies and getting to hear (in context) famous quotes that have slipped into our vocabularies. I mean, how many times have you said or heard someone say "I coulda been a contender", but most of us haven't seen On the Waterfront (in fact, many people think that quote is from one of the Godfather movies). Or, "Here's lookin' at you, kid", or the army whistle from Bridge On The River Kwai. I could go on and on. But it's fun to hear where all these quotes came from, especially when you can go your whole life hearing it without ever having heard it in context. Tootsie has a famous line, "I was a better man with you as a woman than I ever was with a woman as a man." I've heard the quote before, but I never knew where it came from.

Anyway, I am a nerd and I'm well aware of this. Most of the movies that I've left til now are ones that I was avoiding for some reason (they're westerns, musicals, film noir or really really old [Birth of A Nation SUCKS and is racist]) but I am determined to push through them and complete my film self-education before I am forced to completely surrender to mommyhood, and therefore have no more fun again, ever.*

Well, that is all for now. Off to take some tylenol and watch some Gene Kelley.



*please note sarcasm

No comments: