Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Matthew 6:25-34

Which reads:
“That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?
And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."


This passage came into my head today as I was driving to work and worrying about the fact that my work clothes are ready to pop buttons and zippers. What would at any other time in my life be something fun (buying new clothes) is, at the moment, a stressful additional expense in an already tight budget. Right now Matt and I are trying to successfully navigate the loss of about a quarter of my pay while still banking enough to pay for baby expenses.
And, the thing that makes this really stressful is that maternity clothes aren't a one-time expense... so while I'm doing my best to get stuff that will last for a while, I have no idea how big I will get or how fast I will get there.
Anyway, while I was pondering all these things, God brought this verse into my head. It said two things to me. First, that sometimes what we think we need is not really what we need. As much as I would love to have cute/fashionable maternity clothes (and I admit it, I really do), I can live with pretty much anything that successfully covers my body. And, secondly, I think God will provide these things. By that I mean not just the clothes, but the things that are necessary to provide for our family-- now and in the future.

Anyway, this is a simple revelation I know, but it was a good reminder for me...

5 comments:

ashby said...

our mommies wore muumuus when they were pregnant. you should try that. : )

Unknown said...

I am glad that God is who He is. I'm just a tad worried about how things will work out financially as well, but we'll make it!

Brenda said...

Ask around Ciara, and I am sure someone has maternity clothes you can borrow. It's fun to pick out a couple special new things for yourself, but it doesn't make much sense to buy a whole new wardrobe of clothes you don't get to wear for long. I gave mine all away already, but you should post something on the forum or just ask around. You can also find some great maternity clothes at Goodwill or other thrift stores!

Angie said...

Most maternity wear grows with you, like belly panels. I have a few things I got at a garage sale that I thought would fit and ended up to be too small (I have a chest issue). They might work for you? They'd cover the body. Track me down if you are interested.

beatlesxforxsale said...

Thanks for the advice peeps. I am not opposed to sewing muumuus or borrowing clothes.

Angie- we should talk on Sunday.