Friday, May 01, 2009

I love the women who ask me how far along I am, and then feign surprise, like "You're due in August? Wow-- you look great!" I know they are lying, but I appreciate the sentiment nonetheless. And it definitely beats the strangers who say stuff like "Wow, you are huge" or tell me about their friend/sister/wife/self whoever who was "barely showing" at 26 weeks or gained like 10 pounds their whole pregnancy. I'm not gonna lie... I kinda want to be mean to those people.

I have read about how random people you don't even know will give you advice or comment on your habits while you're pregnant. I am just beginning to experience this phenomenon. (Mental note: never become this person.) The other day at Winco the guy checking me out told me I should only load my bags to 10 lbs. I said, "I don't know what book you're reading, but I can carry like 40 lbs if I want to." He told me that it was very dangerous for me to lift heavy things "especially this late in your pregnancy" (again, STRANGER, so he really has no idea how far along I am). He proceeded to pick up each of my bags and tell me which ones were too heavy. Then he double checked my bag of kitty litter (8 lbs so I guess I was safe). I explained to him that I do yoga with two 5 lb weights every single day-- I think I can handle my own groceries. Which is when he gave me that look that people give when pregnant women don't take their advice-- it's a mix between "I warned you" and "Someone should really call social services."

I know people are well-meaning, and I speak partly in jest, but still, it can be annoying. A man scolded my coworker the other day for making me carry a bucket of water. Like, actually spoke sternly to her, and frowned when we both laughed at him. The other day I ordered coffee from my own work, and my coworker said, "Did you mean decaf?" Uhhhh NO. I meant what I said. To which her reply was "Ooooooookay." (aka: I warned you.)

Anyway.... time to eat. I am always grumpy before breakfast.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't really think it's appropriate to sit at a computer for so long blogging when you're this close to your due date.

K said...

I agree with Matt. Ciara, obviously you need to stay at home, in bed, and consider the use of a catheter so you don't have any problems moving around this close to your due date.

K said...

Also, my mom told me she saw you at Ethnos on Sunday and you looked super cute. I asked if she took any pictures, she said she thought that might be a little creepy. However, I know Matt has a super sweet phone, and I assume it has a camera on it. Please text me a picture of you.

Kristina said...

Hi Ciara :)

Recently found your blog - been reading it on and off, figured I ought to actually write hello and let you know that!

I say to hell with everyone else, carry your own groceries... just don't try to clean out any garages, mmkay? ;-)

Congratulations on the pregnancy (and wedding, if I haven't already said that...!). Hope you're doing well - would love to catch up with you sometime if you're up for that!

Take care,
Kristina (yep... Birkel... it's been a while, I know.)

Dave Ketah said...

Your baby already has enough disadvantage with the genes you are giving it, do you really want to amplify that with all this destructive behavior? Just kidding! :)

S said...

Are you at the people touching your belly stage yet? I hated that, I recommend the shirt that reads "if you didn't help make this baby don't touch my tummy!" from cafepress.com for those days when other people REALLY irritate you :) One of my friends got it for me lol.

beatlesxforxsale said...

Yes! I really want one of those shirts. Usually I am not too annoyed with people touching my belly... especially if they ask... but then again there are those grumpy days... haha