Friday, July 03, 2009

Some plus sides to preterm contractions:

I have decided to think positively about our little escapade yesterday (you can read Matt's version of the story here), and I have discovered there are some definite pluses to everything we went through:

1) We basically got a trial run of what we are going to experience when I actually do go into labor: we got to go the hospital, visit the maternity ward, meet the doctors and nurses, etc.
2) I am on bed rest (which I am really not thrilled about, but, again, we're thinking positive here) which will give me a chance to rest for the last couple weeks before the baby comes. As much as I don't want to be sitting around useless all day, I also really don't want to be working when my feet are killing me, I'm grumpy, and nothing is within reach. And I am also going to be getting a glorious amount of sleep every day. So perhaps that is another hidden blessing.
3) I now know what contractions feel like, so when I go into labor I am definitely going to know what's going on. I really had no idea I was even having them until they told me.
4) I got to practice my breathing techniques.
5) It put us on alert. We knew a baby was coming, but honestly, I wasn't expecting her for at least another three weeks. We were soooooooo unprepared yesterday that I am just thankful for the opportunity to come home, pack our bags, try to get together some essentials, pick a name, etc. We're not going to get caught off guard again.
6) I am newly reminded that God is in control, for which I am very thankful. I don't really want to give birth today or tomorrow or even next week, but if I do, I know that it is all in God's plan and that he will protect all three members of our little family. So as nervous as I was yesterday, today a general peace has settled in. Actually, I can be thankful I made it this far already... we are told that babies born around this point actually do pretty well, so even if she does come earlier than we'd like, she will more than likely be fine. My sister was born earlier than this and she is healthy, so that's a comfort to me.

Anyway, that's all for now. Trying to stay positive!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Allison (Anthony's niece) was born three weeks "early" but was fully cooked (eyelashes, the whole deal)... so sometimes they can just be ready, too.

Don't hesitate to call... even if it's just cause you're bored and need a slurpee :)

K said...

So I pretty much freaked out when I read this. But I'm so glad you and baby are doing OK! Are you still going to have your baby showers? Are you bored out of your mind yet? I miss you and can't wait to meet your baby :)

beatlesxforxsale said...

Yeah... from what I hear the preterm labor scare is pretty common, so I'm not too concerned. We're still planning on having the showers, assuming I make it until then!

And yes, I am bored out of my mind.