Saturday, March 27, 2010

Matt worked all day today and part of the day yesterday fixing up some stuff in our bedroom and bathroom. Mostly he was just finishing up the trim. There is now only one room in our house that is without trim: the main bathroom. We made a goal to remodel that bathroom this year, but who knows. We made that goal when we were a dual-income family. I hope we can get to it this year, but I can be content without the shiny new bathroom in 2010.

I love being a homeowner, but the state of our house is a constant reminder to me of how life did not go according to our plan. When we bought this place, we had planned to put a ton of time and money into doing all the remodeling we needed to do, then we could sell it for a profit and have enough money to buy a family home. Ha! All of our money instead went to pay for Kisa being born, and it will likely be a long time before we can finish all of the projects that we'd like to do.

It would surprise you (well, those of you who are not remodeling your own homes, which are very few of you) how quickly you can adjust to living in an unfinished space. For the most part, this doesn't really bother me, which I think is a necessity if you're going to be a DIY kind of person.

The problem I have run into, however, is that my work style is that of a sprint: I like to tackle projects fast and in rapid succession. So when we are able to do a little remodeling, my brain immediately wants to jump to the next project. Which means that when we're putting in a new window casing in our bedroom I can't help but think of the wall I want to knock out, the tile I want in my new bathroom, the vanity I want to build, etc. I have to learn to be patient about this, because this remodel is more like a marathon than a sprint.

Anyway, I digress. Matt put in the rest of the trim and installed a new blind in our bedroom, ripped out the glass shower doors in our master bathroom, and painted. I am having a really REALLY hard time trying to prevent myself from slipping into daydreams about the lovely slate tile I picked out for that particular room... but I am really happy with the work that we (and by we I mean he... I did absolutely nothing) did this weekend.

:)

Meanwhile, I took Kisa to the grandparents' house while I ran some errands (funny how errands seem less like a chore and more like free time when you are suddenly sans baby). I intentionally drove to a distant store so that I could enjoy the weather, the music, the solitude and the Mazda on the way. So nice.

No comments: