Friday, August 03, 2007

can't sleep..

I have the next few days off (4 of them in a row). But they are busy days... tomorrow is the celebration of my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. I'm not really excited about it because, well, my family is huge and I'm supposed to be taping everything, plus providing coffee, so it will probably be pretty boring. But I am excited for my grandparents! 50 years is a long time, and the fact that we all get to celebrate with them is a beautiful thing.
I have been thinking a lot about marriage lately, it's just on the brain... because of my grandparents, Jon and Kristin, etc. In fact, I had an enlightening conversation with Mer about it the other day. It reminded me of Ephesians 5:31-33 which describes the union of a husband and wife (as my translation puts it): "This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church." I love those words-- a profound mystery! Plus, as the passage says, it is our closest earthly representation of the relationship between Christ and the church...
Anyway, that passage, and 1 Corinthians 13, bring me so much joy when I think about people like my parents, grandparents, and friends-- all of whom are in different stages of the process-- what a gift! Love is an incredible gift... and marriage, the union of two people...
I don't know... I don't really know what that is like, but from standing on the outside, I would have to say that when people are obedient to God, that marriage looks both incredibly beautiful and profoundly mysterious.
Anyway... so that is tomorrow. Sunday morning (usually I work at 4:45am on Sundays) I have off and Matt, Nate and I are going to visit Evergreen. Should be interesting... I have heard a lot about Evergreen but never visited myself.
I am getting pretty tired now writing this, so I'm off to bed.

1 comment:

mylordcares said...

Sounds to me like someone has the marriage bug!! Oh by the way since you didn't mention us, 27 years married and 29 years together, not bad for rookies like us!!