Thursday, August 30, 2007

excited

Welllll... tomorrow is my big day. At 3 pm I have an interview with a (different) store manager who will decide whether or not I am ready for a promotion. I have been working toward this interview since June so I'm really excited but also really nervous. I want this promotion pretty badly. I think I would be good at the position I'm interviewing for. Maybe even higher up, later on.
Starbucks has been surprising but a good work experience for me. I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I do or that there would be so many opportunities for me there. Initially I thought of it as just part-time, temporary employment. But I think I will pursue it for a while. One of my assistant managers commented to me the other day that she thinks I am "management material". It was a really nice compliment and it made me think.
I have never really had a job with a corporate structure like Starbucks... but I really like it. The way forward is always very clear. I work well in a system where I am given expectations to fulfill. If I know what needs to be done, I will do it, and generally to the best of my ability. So in that sense I think the corporate environment is a good fit for me, because I always know what's expected of me and what I can expect.
Anyway. Blah blah blah. I'm a little rambly because I'm nervous. It's been a weird and stressful week... starting with last Saturday night. But a couple months' worth of work is culminating in tomorrow afternoon/evening, so I'm really excited.
I am (also) a little nervous about the coffee tasting seminar Nate and I are teaching tomorrow night. I have put a lot into planning it, but I have no idea how many people will come. At first I was worried no one would show up, but I really don't think that is the case. I have spent all week giving people (family, friends, regulars, random customers, co-workers, etc) personal invites to this thing. I just hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew... I'm afraid too many people will show up and I will be overwhelmed.
I've been practicing the last couple days doing coffee tastings with my coworkers. It's been a while since I've done one for work so this week I tried all the new ones (Ubora, Joya Del Dio, and Anniversary Blend... Ubora is the best in my opinion, but I really like East African coffees). Anyway, I was going through the steps with my coworker today and she got really impressed (she's new) and asked me how long I'd been working for Starbucks. Then she said I'd make a good teacher. Which I'm really glad she said, because it put me at ease about tomorrow...

Anyway. I'm kind of a dork, especially about work. I just wanted to talk a little before I go to sleep... hopefully my jabbering will make me sleepy.
Who knows.

4 comments:

Jeremy Abbott said...

Your gonna kick ass tomorrow!!!

mylordcares said...

Oh sweetie you will do so well tomorrow. Just be yourself and smile your beautiful smile alot and you will get the job, I have no doubt!! Russ, Ash, Tim and I are coming for sure. Tim says he doesn't have to taste since he doesn't like coffee!! I know you will have good news for us, we will have to celebrate BIG TIME!!! See you tomorrow.........

Anonymous said...

You're going to rock it right.

Angie said...

How exciting an interview and a coffee tasting! I'm sure you'll do great at both. Sending you prayers.