Tuesday, June 15, 2010

#2: Binder Microfiling

As promised, my nerd blog of the month.

I consider myself to be a fairly organized person. That's not to say there aren't spaces in my house that make me want to scream/cry (our kitchen junk drawer and way-too-small closet spaces come to mind), but I do like to organize and I'm always trying to make the most of the space we DO have.

One of the issues we have come across is where to keep all of our files. Medical bills, tax documents, etc. Since our "office" has been relegated to one tiny armoire in our living room (which houses computer, printer, games AND files) we don't have a lot of space to work with, and on top of our personal files, I also have to keep track of all the Ethnos paperwork (and there is a LOT of that).

One thing I have learned to utilize while living in a small place is our wall space. We have at least one bookcase in every room of our house, which is where we store pretty much everything. And lately I have been working on a system that allows me to store all of our paperwork on the bookcases too. It satisfies my urge to have everything look put together (color-coordinated binders anyone? and yes, they match the rest of the decor) and I also prefer it to file folders.

Three-hole-punching everything would be too much of a pain in the butt (although I have done this before), so I'm just using sheet protectors, which also allows me to keep like items together (ex. an insurance statement, the corresponding bill, and a copy of the paid check in one sleeve).

Another bonus to this (especially for Ethnos) is that the system is highly portable, which is a giant plus considering we don't have an official "office" and it makes it virtually impossible for our files to get messed up. Unless someone were to open the rings of the binder and shake it everywhere. In which case my head might explode.

Anyway Kristin, I hope you enjoyed this. Since you are the only one who read it. And possibly Matt, who is getting ready to comment: "That's nice, but a better way to do it would be to scan everything and keep it on your computer."

4 comments:

Dave Ketah said...

It is so funny when they do that! The worst part was the part with the caterpillar!

Ciara said...

Duly noted, Dave.

Sarah said...

I read it! I read it!

Emma said...

I read it too!