Friday, June 18, 2010

#3a- Ecco Base Update

So I have neither the time nor the energy to post a FULL update on my business right now, but I'll take it in chunks so it seems like a less daunting task.

Where to start? The last couple of weeks have been packed full of work. I had a retailer in NE Portland show some interest in my stuff and spent several days whipping up some merch for her. In the end I went to visit her shop and decided maybe I should look around for a better location before settling on selling there. It's not a bad shop by any means, just a little out of the way and for the commission I'd be paying her I want to have my stuff in a more prominent location. So right now I have a ton of gear on my hands that I need to get rid of!

I have realized that, when it comes to business, I lack neither the creativity nor the work ethic, but sometimes I lack the faith that this may actually become successful/profitable. I am still very early in this game, and actually I have had some killer opportunities crop up the past couple of weeks (which I will get into in a later post). Regardless, I am almost constantly doubting myself. I'm having to work on keeping a positive attitude and counting my successes. I'm also just beginning to understand the massive amount of work I am getting myself into. I feel like perhaps I was running blindly into a massive ocean thinking it was a kiddie pool.

Anyway, if that sounds depressing/depressed to you, don't worry. I am not depressed. I am exhausted today (I spent most of the day working at a street fair downtown), but I am also feeling pretty good about where I'm at when it comes to my business. The more opportunities I find, the more I learn. I'm beginning to shape a better vision for marketing, advertising, sales etc. I'm starting to network with the Portland art community, and I have a small army of people who seem to be crawling out of the woodwork offering me suggestions on where to sell or who to contact or something. So that has been helpful.

I desperately need to update my website, and I'd love to write a better update about some of the stuff I have going on, but for now I'm going to call it a day, and just post a couple of pictures of some of the new stuff I've made... and there will be more to come in the next couple of days.


A new floral applique bag- I call this color scheme "beach"
This is a reusable grocery bag very similar to the one I made for Ang.

"I <3 Planet Earth" handbag- beach, with "ecco base" screen printed liner- very cute (I think), this is one of my faves. :)

Same design, but this one is a reusable grocery bag


That's all for now! Keep your eyes peeled for more updates.

3 comments:

Ashby and Abram said...

'run into a massive ocean thinking it was a kiddie pool'.

OH MY GOSH YOU HAVE DESCRIBED MY LIFE SO WELL.

(ps I really like your bags. still. just like last time.)

: )

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think one thing you forgot to put on the website for the bags is you can do cuustom jobs, any pic. anyone wants. I think thatwill help. :) Vicki

Suruchi Puri (Author) said...

The prints on bags are just awesome...