Sunday, December 10, 2006

i tried to do it the legal way...

...but the system failed me.
On Friday I went in to see my doctor as scheduled. My appointment was at 11 and I didn't have work until 12:45 so I figured I would be ok. I got there 5 minutes early and was all set up and waiting by the time the clock hit 11. Well, they left me waiting nearly 30 minutes and I was starting to get kind of nervous. It isn't unusual to have to wait that long, especially with my doctor, but I figured once I got into the room it would take at least 45 minutes to check me out and diagnose and everything. Which left me leaving the office at 12:15, with just enough time to get to work before I had to clock in.
So needless to say I was getting pretty antsy around 11:30 or so, and was just about to say something when the nurse came out and called my name.
...But she wasn't calling me to tell me it was my turn. She was calling me to tell me the doctor was running over an hour behind and there was no chance of seeing anyone until well after 12:00.
Well that didn't work for me so I had to go through the whole process of cancelling and rescheduling my appointment for Monday, refunding my co-pay, etc. which took another 15 minutes because the receptionist didn't seem to want to do any work that day. As it turned out, I ended up scheduling my return appointment during the time I was supposed to be at work (grr). The whole thing was just really frustrating, plus I felt like crap and had wasted over an hour and accomplished absolutely nothing. No one even apologized to me for the inconvenience. The worst part is that I had given up an extra 2 hours I could have worked that day so that I could go to this appointment.
When I got home I told my mom the whole story and she said, "don't worry, I can just give you some of my emergency antibiotics." I followed her out to the garage where she has a box full of random medical supplies and, among these items, a bottle of prescription amoxicillin. What the...? I started taking them, though, and today I felt much better.
Don't ask me how or why my mom stashes prescription drugs in our garage because I'm not exactly sure there is a good explanation. All I know is that it paid off.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

legal schmegal. do what it takes to get better kid.

Paulos said...

wow, who knew...(gasp)

anywho, it is good you goto the dr. unlike me who has good medical and hates going to the doctor and because I'm all grown up my parents don't get to tell me to go = hasn't gone in well over 3 years. I wonder if that is long enough to be dying of a termanal sickness?

Anonymous said...

perhaps your garage is really a secret bomb shelter...

Anonymous said...

Are the drugs sitting next to the batteries, bottled water, and canned goods. :)

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha. That's awesome. Why didn't your mom just give you these in the first place? Maybe she wanted you to try to get some first so she could add to her stash...