Thursday, December 07, 2006

Okay, okay. I have been sick for two weeks now. TWO WEEKS. And I am running out of things to do. I hit bottom after watching three seasons of Grey's Anatomy (I really hate to admit it, but I really like that show). So now I am blogging because... well, because I have nothing else to do. And also because for some people, like Kristin, Lee, Terry, my cousins, etc. it is my main method of keeping them up-to-speed on the happenings of my life.
So... yep. I have been sick. Nothing major, except that I keep thinking I am getting better when I am actually getting worse. I tried everything imaginable. I slept as much as any human could possibly sleep. I took vitamins, even Airborne and Emergen-C. I drank plenty of water. I even tried running it out on the treadmill. But nothing worked, and I feel worse. So I am going to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully he will make me all better.
My main annoyance about the whole being sick thing is that I haven't been able to work out as much as I would like to. Becky and I are running a 5k on New Year's which, although it isn't a huge deal, isn't something I really want to go into without any prior effort (especially since Becky is a super athlete). Apart from that, I had been making an effort to work out every day and had been doing a really good job of it up until I got sick. Three miles a day. And as of today I haven't been to the gym in... three days. Not so awesome.
Ummm... what else. Next week is finals week, and then I have three weeks off before I go back to full-time. I am pretty excited. I recently found a really great postgraduate program at Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. Trinity is pretty prestigious so eligibility for admission might be a bit of a struggle. I have made a goal of working harder to step up my grades and find out what supplemental courses I may need to take to qualify.
The program is amazing. Seriously-- it is perfect for me. It's a Masters of Science in the field of Global Health. Which is a program that basically takes students from all kinds of science fields and integrates medical, political and cultural studies. The goal is to train medical/business professionals who will be working in international health careers how to address health issues that span the globe.
I have never really pegged myself for the post grad type, but as it turns out, I am good at the whole school thing when I apply myself. So I am going to work hard toward this, and see where I end up.
I need to get perfect grades from now on, which is going to be really difficult. But I think I can maybe probably do it. The school asked me to become a peer tutor next term. I think it's funny since they tried to kick me out the first term, and now they want to pay me to teach other kids. Ha. I will probably say yes, not because of the money (it isn't even minimum wage, and it's only about 4-8 hours/month), but because it will be a good thing to put on my application and because I think I might actually be good at it.
Which brings me to my last point of update: work. Work is great. I love it. Especially my coworkers. They are very nice people. And I'm not just saying that because my boss might someday read this. :)
The other day a girl came in from another store when I was working on the bar. She started talking to me and I got all nervous. She had a very complicated drink and once I knew she was a Starbucks employee I was trying very hard to get it right (since I knew she would know if I didn't). Well, I was so concentrated on making sure I steamed her milk to the right consistency (not too foamy), that I forgot to put any shots in her drink. That was pretty embarassing. When I told Shineadth she laughed at me and said, "well, you can only go up from here." (I like her the most out of everyone.)

Okay. I should probably sleep now. I get to go to the doctor in the morning! I am excited.

FIN!

8 comments:

Paulos said...

Sunshine! Ciara blogs again! I was worried there for a bit.

Anonymous said...

I think everyone knew you couldn't stay away.

Excercise interruptions from sickness are very annoying. I recently was dealing with this, except my break lasted for two weeks. I think it's good to remember that it is okay for the body to rest! Recuperation is greatly important so as to avoid overtraining, which can be even more debilitating than sickness. I bet you'll find that you'll get back into things fairly easily.

Anonymous said...

:)

Anonymous said...

oh and i hope you get better soon. but if not, i'll feed you chicken soup when i get home. or perhaps vegatable ;)

Unknown said...

good luck w/trinity! will it be a problem that you didn't study science while trying to apply for a science degree?

beatlesxforxsale said...

well, I am working toward my BS right now. So, technically, I am studying science. It's not really the same, I know, but the program seems pretty open about the type of undergrad degrees it accepts. Anyway... I am sure they'll let me know.

Paulos said...

yeah unlike public schools they don't make us all take the same classes even if we have no interest... (hates chemistry and statics hatessss)

Unknown said...

It is good to see you are blogging again!