Monday, August 31, 2009

Wellllll I am trying to kill some time... Matt is over at the Ketah's helping Dave with the house, and I am about to go grocery shopping sans baby.

Anyway... I don't really have much to blog about, but life is finally settling down for me and after a week of stay-at-home mothering I am beginning to understand what life will be like with a baby. So far this has been a pretty smooth adjustment for the most part. I have been lucky enough to (mostly) escape the baby blues. Sure, there have been a few trying moments and tears shed, but given all the crazy hormones, recovery from childbirth, and dealing with a newborn, I'm pretty sure our transition has been smoother than most. Also, it gets easier with every day and as I gain more confidence (and lose more of those crazy prego hormones).

Part of my speculation about parenthood was a fear that I would never have time for myself anymore (or Matt for that matter). The last few weeks have been pretty Kisa-centric, but already I am starting to think about my personal goals and interests, and how I can make time for things that are important to me. Matt and I have been talking about my returning to work: a decision that, initially (as in pre-baby), seemed like a no-brainer to me, but as time goes by is becoming more of a question mark than a certainty. I'm feeling extremely conflicted about working... there are very clear pros and cons. I feel like my job is an opportunity for me to have some independence from my family. It's not a job that I love, but I do like the people I work with (well... some of them, anyway), and I like getting out and socializing and having a place where I am not serving the role of wife/mother. (That sounds really negative and I don't mean it to sound like I don't absolutely LOVE being a wife/mom, but hopefully people understand the point that I am getting at.) I also really struggle with the idea of not contributing financially. I know that being a stay-at-home mom is a full-time (and exhausting) job, not to mention that parenting is valuable in and of itself. Still, having the opportunity to stay home with my child seems like an incredible luxury to me, almost to the point of laziness. I know that I am capable of working and being a wife and mother. So choosing to do less work than I know I am physically able to do... that bothers me.

On the other hand, the hardest part of returning to work would be that I would be leaving Matt and Kisa for a significant portion of the time that we should be spending as a family. Especially with Matt, I feel like my time with him is limited already and I hate the thought of limiting it even more... giving up an evening or weekend together to go to a job that is, really, just a job... and not a career. It's not even something that I really care about.

One thing I have discovered in the last few weeks is that parenthood has not destroyed my quality time with Matt like I feared it would. In fact, in a way it has almost made things better. I think when you have less time, you tend to make more of the time you do have. Plus, after a week of taking care of Kisa alone, I am so excited to have him home with us all weekend. Parenting involves so much teamwork (i.e. you hold the crying baby while I brush my teeth, and then we'll switch) that I find myself really thankful for him and I feel like we are a stronger team than we were before.

Anyway... that last paragraph probably seems like a direct contradiction of the one before it, but the point is, family time is really precious to me, and time alone with Matt is precious to me, and I don't want to cut into either of those things.

Okay, it's time to do some shopping.

5 comments:

Mark Owen said...

Thanks for letting us take care of Kisa tonight, I loved feeding her!

Perhaps now is the time to take a class?

Anonymous said...

I know people read this blog alot more than my Facebook page so I am asking those of you who are invited to the shower on Saturday and have not RSVP'D, PLEASE DO. I need to know how to plan and I know alot of you were hoping to come to a shower for Ciara, so please let me know ASAP. Thanks Ciara, I have been a stay at home Mom for 28 years now. No, i t wasn't always glamorous and we didn't do alot of fancy vacations but I knew it was pleasing to God and good for my kids. I don't like to boast but I have 2 amazing kids. They have exceptional careers, wonderful life partners, are very responsible, and each have their own homes.And most important of all both of them love the Lord with all their heart and soul. So I think Russ and myself have done the right thing by our family. Listen to your heart honey, and never doubt what it tells you. Vicki

Angie said...

There are a lot of things one can do besides a job to fulfill the void a job brings. I fill fortunate to not have to work and be able to stay home with my children. I know they will thank me in the years to come. It is the right choice for me and my family. You have to make the right choice for you and yours.

Vicki, I didn't RSVP because we will be out of town and not attending. Sorry, Ciara. Taking the kids to the beach for a family weekend of fun, this time with showers and beds and a kitchenette. I've done too much sleeping in sleeping bags this past month.

ashby said...

crap, Vicki, I'm sorry, I AM attending, and every day I fully intend to call you and RSVP, and then I don't, and I'm really sorry!

Ciara...thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. your family is blessed. I'm glad you have grandparents and siblings etc in town who are so loving and willing to help. never take that for granted!

I don't think I have ever heard anyone describe staying at home as lazy before. I understand your desire to contribute financially- and I DO think it could be healthy for you to have something else, some time away from your baby. but I don't think it's accurate to view it as 'working', or 'not working, which makes me feel guilty that I'm being lazy'. I think it's maybe more of a balance between 'working at a job that brings in money' and 'working on my family and my home'.

that being said, working part time is very different than working full time. part time, I think, might be the best balance between both worlds.

love you, kiddo! thanks for beings so transparent about your feelings.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much to all of you who attended the shower for Ciara today. She seemed to have had a really good time. Kisa was great,everyone got to hold and cuddle her, and I know Ciara appreciated your effort and company! Vicki