Tuesday, January 19, 2010

In the last couple of years, with the aid of a stable relationship and the pressure of motherhood, I have grown up a lot. I am still a young'un at 22 (I have a lot left to learn) but I have discovered some very simple pleasures that come along with growing up.

For the first time in my life, I think I can say pretty confidently that I know who I am. I can list qualities that I possess. I can tell you my strengths and weaknesses. I'm sure I'm still in denial about some of my more negative qualities, but, for the most part, I know what being me entails, and I am happy with me.

Which means... I really don't care if other people think I am cool or like the things I like. I am not embarrassed to admit that I listen to Kelly Clarkson or watch The Hills (both of which my husband finds completely ridiculous). I like what I like. I am who I am.

It is a very freeing feeling.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A famous man once said, "I am what I am, and it is all that I am", of course he followed that with "I'm Popeye the Sailor Man!" So eat your spinach,keep taking care of Sweet Pea, you are a hero to me!

ashby said...

good girl.

I am still figuring out who I am (us extroverts take a while) but I am trying to be kind to myself.

and I'm almost 29! maybe my 30s will be easier. my 20s were rough.

Unknown said...

This will in no way dissuade me from stymieing the flow of horrible TV programming into our home.

Angie said...

I think you know who you are, for now. Who you are will probably seem entirely different in 10, 20, 30 years.