Monday, June 18, 2007

The Complete Financial Guide For Young Couples

I picked up this book yesterday and it is really, really good. I know that probably sounds weird, but finances have been on my mind lately. I've never really had a reason to save or spend responsibly, and I tend to be a little impulsive. Sometimes I get into pretty minor debt, but I always pay it off as fast as I can and get back on track.
The reason why this hasn't landed me in (too much) trouble yet is that I don't have a lot of money to spend, and I (purposefully) do not own a credit card, so there's not really an opportunity for debt, as least not much of it. But I'm pretty bad at saving money.
Anyway, this is something I know I really need to work on because at some point I am going to have more money and the way I use it will matter to more than just me. From what I have seen poor finances can be a huge stressor and source of fighting in a marriage. And I don't want that for my family. So I figure I should start learning now so that when I get married I can do it right.
This book is really wise, and I think every couple who is planning on getting married should read it (together). It's a good pre-emptive measure. Plus it has already made me re-evaluate some of the things I've been thinking. The author is a Christian and he teaches a sound Biblical approach to managing money. It's not really anything I've heard before, but at the same time, it seems like common sense.
The author spends a lot of time talking about how (and why) opposites attract, and he paints a very beautiful picture of the "oneness" of marriage... how two people are designed so their strengths and weaknesses, when brought together, balance each other out. It makes me very thankful for Matt because he is very organized and responsible when it comes to most things, especially finances, and it is a good check for me.

Anyway, all of that to say, I really like this book. It is helpful, and it is interesting to read. So I recommend it.

I mentioned that lately I'm trying to pay closer attention to the good marriages I see. But in the last couple weeks I have been reminded that I can learn from others' struggles as well- if I am attentive to them. So I am actively disciplining myself in areas where I know my weakness will damage my relationship. As a pre-emptive measure of my own.

4 comments:

Dave Ketah said...

Brenda and I have learned a thing or two from Larry Burkett. This is an important thing for you to be doing. Handling money well does not seem to come naturally to we Americans!

Jenn Sanders said...

That's great Ciara! It can be a huge stress in marriage. It has always been something that Troy & I struggle with. We seem to be in a good groove right now.

Unknown said...

that book sounds like a very wise read, and probably WILL come in handy.

that said...

i used to sell these things all the time at christian supply, and i felt bad every single time. i have a problem touting a financial book as a "christian" book. honestly finances (as americans know them) and the jesus version are mutually exclusive.

i have no problem writing a financial planning book, just don't drop jesus' name to help sell copies.

Becky said...

YES to the short film!!! Best idea in the history of ideas.