Monday, June 11, 2007

There's this theory called the James-Lange Theory of Emotion. What it says, basically, is that your brain learns how to interpret feelings based on how your body is responding. That sudden drop in your stomach that tells you you're feeling anxious... or the tears running down your face that tell you you're sad... those are examples.
The other part of the theory is that you can control your emotions by controlling your body. Smile and stand up straight, and eventually you'll feel happier. Or lie in bed and mope around all day and you'll feel depressed.
My body tells me I don't want to feel better. I want to remain anxious and angry and afraid. But my mind tells me I need to move on. I need to get things done. I have a life that I need to tackle today, a project I need to finish, and a final to study for. I can't afford to be anxious or distracted.
So I am making a concious effort for the following things: to be focused. To work hard, even though I don't feel like I can. To forgive what I can (or move in that direction).
It's like putting a smile on my face and waiting for the happiness to follow. I guess I'm putting a lot of faith in the hope that it will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a long stretch of time where I hoped and prayed that James-Lange was actually true, until I realized that all it did was give me more rationale for trying to fix things myself, as if I could actually pull myself up by my bootstraps. Today I have to try something else.

Maybe the theory will prove true for you. I'd be interested in hearing more about how it all works out.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.