Monday, June 04, 2007

I didn't sleep that well. Mostly because of the thunderstorm, but also because I feel nauseous.
And hopeless. I have built up some role models over the past few years. My parents, the Rameys, the Wolvertons, the Fergusons, the Lewises (my aunt and uncle)... to name a few. I have watched them all closely for many years.
Since Matt and I have started dating, I have paid even closer attention. How do they speak to each other? Or about each other? What do they do together? Do I see them argue? How do they support each other, what does that look like?
The thing is, I really want to get married someday, and when I do, I want it to be strong and healthy and beautiful. I want a relationship like the one my parents have. Or rather, I need that kind of relationship because failure is not an option. And I desperately, desperately want to be happy, and to be the best wife I possibly can be. I want to honor God and honor my husband. I want to be the one who helps him realize his dreams. I want to know how to build him up and support him and love him and I want us to grow closer together and closer to Christ.
I am absolutely terrified of messing this up. So I watch people. I watch people who I think have good, strong, healthy marriages and I try to figure out what makes them that way. And despite all the bad marriages that are out there, that I have seen, I have never felt truly scared of getting married until now.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Maybe that's the way it should be. Maybe we should be scared. Maybe we should get married and walk along side our spouses terrified, together. Perhaps then we will cling tightest to one another and to God. Your mom has lots of good points. Ciara, I'm scared too. Obviously, it could happen to me too. I can't imagine it, but now I know the truth. It could.

mylordcares said...

Ciara, A word from someone who has been through alot and still keeping on. First, please don't compare people's marriages. The truth is never the truth in the open. People have images to keep when out and about. NO-ONE but the two of them and God know the truth. Your parent's are the best role models for you. And you know they have had their up's and down's. Ciara, NO marriage is perfect, it's a lot of hard work. There will be so many high's and low's if you could see the future you would be too terrified to venture into the bog! But sweetie, look at the up's. As Angie said, someone to share it all with, to work it out with, to scream at, to cry with, to laugh with, to GROW with. If anyone tells you it will be blissful and happy every moment they are dillusional. It is hard work, but what comes with hard work? Satisfaction and accomplishment. A life worth being proud of because you made it together. Marriage needs complete commitment to one another, laughter, trust, forgiveness, hope and above all Faith. Don't be afraid , be cautious. God will be there with you, keep Him forefront and you too will be an old married woman some day!!! Hope this helped a little.........

Dave Ketah said...

It is hard to succeed when you are preoccupied with failure.

Paulos said...

Dave them's some wise words.

Mark Owen said...

I remember preparing to say my vows and thought - how could I possibly commit to anything or anyone for the rest of my life? I haven't been committed to anything for even a year! A whole life? It lead me to some anxious time of prayer, and a realization that I could not keep this except by the grace of God. 25 yrs later that is still true!

Unknown said...

preach. it. sister.

i believe the german word is "zustimmen."
ich zustimme mit dir.

Anonymous said...

I'm scared too.

I'm hoping that God is still who he says he is, and I'm also trying to learn as much as possible now.

I don't know what else to do other than that.