Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Since Matt updated his blog, I guess I should too...

Thank you all for pointing out my hypocrisy.

In other news, I have discovered a slight down side to working from home.

When your home is also your office, it can start to feel a little bit like you are always on the clock. Between the two jobs I work, my baby, and taking care of basic household responsibilities (cooking/cleaning/laundry/errands), I have discovered that I can go an entire day with almost no down time. Surprisingly, I have discovered that I am NOT the type of person who struggles to motivate herself when unmonitored (I would have guessed this about myself). Rather, I struggle with sitting still or resting when it feels like there is always something I have to get done.

I have not been feeling well the past few days, and I'm not entirely sure why. It could be the changing of the seasons (I have historically had a difficult time adjusting to the winter months). It could be lack of sleep, although I feel the amount of sleep I get is generally reasonable, so I'm not sure that's it. It could be that I am feeling overworked or overwhelmed. It could be that I am coming down with something. It could be that I have had a bad reaction to the flu shot I got last week. There are so many possibilities. Regardless, I have been feeling pretty wiped out, and that's made me rethink the patterns I've fallen into over the past month.

So, in a renewed attempt to take care of myself and thus be a better wife/mother/employee, I have decided to enforce some general rules for my "work day". Like, for instance, coffee breaks and lunch breaks. Which means setting aside about 45 minutes of my day to stop working (and not because my baby just woke up and I have to feed/change her). But just to enjoy my meal and have a little bit of unstructured quiet time for myself.

So we'll see how that works out.
(And yes, I typed this during my first ever self-imposed lunch break)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is why they say being a stay at home mom is the hardest job EVER!!! And on top of it you are doing another job as well. I think the assumption is that Mom's who stay home have it very easy and don't do much. It is quite the opposite. I can remember when the kids were young how constantly busy I was. Yes, the house was spotless, dinner was always on the table when Russ got home, the laundry was done and put away,we had happy and adjusted kids, etc., etc. But I always felt like I hadn't done enough!! Oh, the pressures we and society put on us. So, my advice is to yes give yourself time. When it feels like to much, sit down and have a cup of tea. And if it get's to be too much, go out. Take Kisa for a walk. Join a Mommy and Me class. Learn this now sweetie and you will feel balanced and adjusted. You Need CIARA TIME!!!!! Love you :) Vicki

Sarah said...

Thank you.

-The Fans

Dave Ketah said...

I work from home 2x per week, and I can definitely relate. One thing I have found to be valuable in getting breaks is a change of venue. If you are anywhere near your home office and computer, you are susceptible to being sucked into working.