Wednesday, February 01, 2006

the infamous pinecone assignment.

I talked to Matt yesterday for the first time in about a week. Out of curiosity, I made the mistake of asking him about his homework load at OSU. I guess I assumed it would be similar to mine. But from his response I gather he has a lot more free time.
Something about the Art Institute that frustrates me from time to time is its reputation. Usually when people find out I go there they ask me if it is a two-year program, like a trade school. I think it gets a weird reputation because of the TV advertising. People seem to think that it is a lower-level college experience or that the people who end up there do it for lack of options or because they’ve had an unsuccessful school career.
Here is the thing about school, though. We are a business-oriented private art school. We are not just earning fine arts degrees, we are being prepared for our specific careers. Because of that, our programs are that much harder. For example, a regular four-year program is condensed into three years, leaving no summer breaks. The programs are driven toward teaching not only creative artistry but WORK ETHIC.
Since I have been at the Art Institute I’ve had to work harder than I have ever worked before. This is just my second term, and I’m already almost to the point of overload. This is hard stuff. It stretches me creatively which is not fun.
One of the worst things about it is the drawing classes. This pertains to my major in no way, shape or form except that it has taught me to power through the most ridiculous and un-fun assignments.
My favorite (detect the sarcasm here) so far: the pinecone. It is a 10X13” drawing (in ink), divided into 520 ½X½” squares. Each square should be shaded using a different line technique to describe the overall shape and value of a pinecone. It is, at the very least, a ten-hour assignment, but it took more like fifteen.
In short, I would rather have toothpicks hammered under my fingernails than repeat an assignment like this EVER again. I’m so glad it’s over.
Take a look.













In fact, take a closer look. Because I'm very proud of my work.



p.s. I have a bad cold. Please pray that I get better soon.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

looks great. what specific career are you going to use this in again? jk

Unknown said...

ps i saved it to the computer i hope you dont mind.

Dave Ketah said...

It sucks when people have a general disrespect of your education, and frustrating when it comes from ignorance! I guess what is important is that you like it, and that future employment prospects value it.

If you would like to get rid of this 'painful' reminder of a drawing project, I would gladly find wallspace in my house where a matted and framed version of it could live!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's freaking sweet. It makes me jealous. I was considering going to art school for illustration while I was looking for a job, and I sent away for catalogs to PNCA and a school in New Jersey. I still wish I could have gone.