Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A Revelation.

I have just come to a realization about why staying in Portland and going to the Art Institute has completely rocked my world. And this the realization:
The first term (actually the first couple terms, and even the first year or so) were REALLY difficult to adjust to because everybody moved and became totally involved in their respective campus lives. It sucked for me because there is literally NO campus life at the Ai. So for a long time I felt like I was really missing out on the standard college experience. In a way I still do believe that, but I didn't realize what I had traded that experience for. And now that I do, I think it's totally worth it.
In the last year, while attending school, I have made a ton of contacts (mostly through Ethnos and Ethnos-related networks) that have commissioned work from me of all types (fine arts, graphic design, digital media, etc). I have built up a substantial collection of commissioned artwork and I have learned a TON about my field. I am getting to the point now where I feel a lot of my friends respect me as a designer and are willing to promote me to others. This is such a blessing and over the past month, paying jobs (in my field, no less) have literally begun to fall into my lap. I have realized the potential to make money doing what I am trained to do.
And all of this is happening my sophomore year of college.
What I have been doing for the past year (without even realizing it) is steadily building a network and client base that could potentially support me when I graduate. I do not know how many kids my age find steady work in their fields of interest, even as unpaid interns. But I'm guessing the numbers are not that high. Not only am I working doing what I want to do, but I am successfully freelancing my design skills. That is a HUGE deal for any artist, but it is an even bigger deal for me, a college kid. I am being treated, in some of these cases, as though I am a professional in my field-- I am getting that much respect. That is freaking crazy; there is no way I have earned that.
I have literally been blessed with this beyond my comprehension and I am sooooooo thankful and excited. I would not trade these opportunities for dorm life any day.

P.S. I made a contact today that works with a chain of NPOs in the Portland area and will hopefully be interested in hiring me, Matt, or both of us to do some work for these organizations. This could be a really huge opportunity for both of us so pray that it works out!

No comments: