Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Cult of Artistic Genius

In the last few weeks I have become increasingly aware of the shift in thinking about art over the last 500 years. Did you know that during the High Renaissance artists were considered to be the most valued members of society? It was thought that the skill set that enabled people to be talented painters also enabled them to be excellent scientists and mathematicians. Artists were among the most highly educated and well-traveled individuals in society. Talented artists were considered to be geniuses. Literally. And in some cases, this was true (take Leonardo da Vinci for example, or Raphael, who painted murals so complex that it took the assistance of theological and philosophical scholars to decipher their meanings).
I don't know if I believe that being an artist automatically makes you a genius, although creative thinking is a higher level brain function, so a TRULY talented artist would have to be incredibly intelligent. However, it is interesting to me that we no longer treat artists as though they have so much to offer to the world. Think about it-- kids who exhibit artistic tendencies early on are often encouraged to pursue other, more practical fields. Art programs are among the first things cut from education budgets in times of crisis. Art students are not offered a higher-level education equivalent to that of their peers (in terms of academics) the way they once were.
I don't know why I am posting about this, I just find it a fascinating shift in thinking. It's not that I feel personally devalued in any way. I should clarify that lest people think I am either complaining or bragging. I am not. I am discussing society in general terms.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sucks that art is so peripheral now. then again maybe you are exaggerating the role of artists in society since you are one yourself. thats like me saying people who surf the net ten hours a day are the most important members of society.