Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Resolutions for 2007


I have been thinking about the past year. Technically, for my family, it sucked. But for me as an individual it wasn't too bad. Everything that I was personally in control of, I thrived in. I got excellent grades, got a great job that I love, grew spiritually and in my relationships, and even lost some weight and worked out more. Which is pretty good. So, although it was not a year I would ever repeat, I am proud of me.
I am also excited for this year. I got off to a good start with the first run of the New Year. Becky and I ran a 5k on Sunday night/Monday morning. It was soooo much fun. Easily one of the best new years I've ever had. It was nice not to have the social pressure and nice to start off in such a healthy way. I finished at 30 minutes exactly, which is even faster than I trained at. In fact it was my goal pace for mid February. So I was pretty stoked to have reached it.
This year I only set 4 goals for myself, and I am serious enough about them that I think they will actually stick. The first is to run 3-5 10-minute miles a day. I am working myself up to 5 by the middle of March. After that I will keep running 5 miles/day and add in a good weightlifting routine. I also want to swim one day a week and take one day a week off from working out. So I will run 5 days a week and swim 1 day a week. Today I ran 3 miles but not at the right pace. So I am still working towards the bottom end of that goal.
The second goal was to maintain a GPA of 3.7 or above. I don't know if that is possible but I am going to try. If not, I will shoot for above a 3.5 as my second choice.
The third and fourth goal I am going to be doing with my mentor, Sarah. That wasn't how I planned it but we randomly made two of the same goals and when we met today we decided to accomplish them together. So we are going to be reading through the Bible this year (starting tomorrow) and we are going to be running the Shamrock Run, which is a 10k (6 miles). That is double what I ran on Sunday so I figure it is a good second step. My goal for that is 50 minutes. We'll see if I can do. I have a long time to prepare so I think I can.

Anyone else have any cool goals? If you tell me what they are I will hold you accountable to them. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dad used to do the Shamrock every year. I think I still have some of his old sweatshirts from it...

Anonymous said...

You know, it's okay, and probably a good idea, to rest more than one day a week. Overtraining creates a much higher risk for injuries, and injuries will set you much further back than extra days of rest.

My goal is to summit Mt. Hood this summer.