Wednesday, January 10, 2007

this thing that happened

First of all, I really hate putting on makeup, especially in the morning. I also tend to overestimate my own beauty right after I wake up. The result is that usually I decide I don't need any makeup at all and then I get to work and realize that I don't look nearly as good as I thought I did. However, I also hate getting hit on at work, so I guess it works out well in the end that I look kind of pale and sickly.
Speaking of getting hit on at work, I had this experience while I was sweeping the lobby today. It wasn't so much getting hit on as it was getting hit with a cup of 195-degree milk and coffee. (I know that it was 195 degrees because we had just finished steaming it for what can only be described as one of the most ridiculous drink orders I have ever heard. There were seriously at least two things in each box, AND the customer was rude, which made it worse.) Anyway. I am out sweeping and minding my own business when this customer comes charging through the hallway. She did not touch me. In fact she never even came close, but about two feet from me she just tipped her coffee straight over onto the spot where I was standing. I jumped back and managed to avoid most of it.
She looked at the empty coffee cup in her hand, looked at the floor, and then looked at me and said, "I just paid for that."
Uhhhhh. UHH. What? Really? Did someone really do that to me, you ask?
But I assure you it is in fact true.
Don't worry, I am fine. I wasn't too badly burned. I did clean up her mess for her, of course. And I obviously remade her drink. And apologized to her for the inconvenience. I even let it go when she told one of our other customers that I had run into her (impossible since I was standing still). He saw the whole thing anyway, so I'm sure he knew she was lying.

Anyway. I share that with you so that you can laugh at my misfortune. :) I had a good laugh about it later with my coworker.

P.S. Ashby, if you are reading this, it is people like THAT who deserve our mumblegrumble. A double tall, light carmel, carmel macchiato is nothing. A 3/4 decaf, triple grande, 2%, 2 pump sugar free vanilla, 1 pump regular vanilla, 195 degree, extra foamy, light carmel, carmel macchiato that ends up ALL OVER MY LEGS is something completely different.

4 comments:

Wesly Smith said...

Nice. It's stories like these that make me glad I don't work with the public.

I'm glad you're able to laugh about it. :O)

Anonymous said...

Ha, dang. I don't think I would have been able to keep my cool in this situation. Props to you.

Ashby said...

eeeeeeeeew. WHAT? buy your own espresso machine, person.

Ashby said...

(wait. Was it Paul, and you're just trying to protect his privacy?)