Tuesday, April 18, 2006

once upon a time...

a friend and I had a bad fight. He was extremely frustrated with me because he kept asking me questions that I could not answer (I have trouble communicating... in general, and especially if I'm upset). We ended our conversation on a bad note, and I felt incredibly guilty the next day. I tried multiple times to tell him how I felt but it always ended up confused and I felt like I was being too harsh. Finally I decided the best way would be to show him my favorite songs and explain why they made sense to me. So i made him a cd with all of the following songs on it and wrote out the verses that I liked and how they corresponded to how I felt right then:

1. Alien Ant Farm- Movies

2. Cake- No Phone

3. Pearl Jam- Betterman

4. Foo Fighters- Disenchanted Lullaby

5. Something Corporate- Break Myself

6. Over The Rhine- If Nothing Else

7. Elton John- Tiny Dancer

8. Death Cab For Cutie- Tiny Vessels

9. Goo Goo Dolls- Iris

10. Jimmy Eat World- Hear You Me

11. Maroon 5- Secret

12. Goo Goo Dolls- Acoustic #3

13. Red Hot Chili Peppers- My Friends

14. Pearl Jam- Nothingman

15. Johnny Cash- Hurt (Cover)

16. Radiohead- Creep

17. Bush- Glycerine



... this boy and I are no longer friends, but I still have this playlist on my computer and when I listen to it I think of him, and feel guilty. I feel bad that I couldn't explain myself better or apologise and fix our friendship or make him understand why I act the way I do. That was nearly six months ago. Today I had a similar opportunity to explain my feelings to someone and I couldn't do it properly this time either. It makes me frustrated that I have such a difficult time talking to my friends about important things.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

depressing music is the best.

Anonymous said...

you are not the only one who communicates through music!