Monday, April 03, 2006

school is back in session...

Well, starting on Wednesday. I went down this morning to check up on my grades from Winter Term and get my new schedule. This past week and a half I've been contemplating dropping out of Ai and doing a one-year intensive film program. School has been really difficult for me the past couple of years. The only reason I'm at Ai in the first place is because I really believe in the message I'm planning on sending with my films. I also kind of look at it as an act of obedience to God because he is the one who directed me there in the first place, and I know he has his hand all over this. But it's getting harder and harder to focus when I just want to get out in the field as soon as I possibly can, and start helping people...
I have really been struggling through this issue for a while now, and seriously considered it over these past two weeks, which is why I waited until today to register and pay my bills for this term. But ultimately I decided that I need a full degree. Without my bachelor's there is very little I can do here without connections, which will be hard to maintain if I'm overseas for long periods of time. I don't plan on working here, and if I do, it will probably be a temporary position. But then again, I don't really know what's in store for me in the future. Ultimately i want to be safe and have my bases covered, and know I have the potential to provide for myself and/or raise a family (?) if I need to.
So I went down to school this morning with my fingers crossed, hoping I passed all my classes last term and praying things only get better for me from here on out. I have been working pretty hard and just managing to scrape by in more than one area. But I got a fair enough grade report. I even got my first A, in-- are you ready for a surprise?-- math. Of all the classes for me to ace... haha. Guess I got some Owen genes after all. Just when I was beginning to wonder.
There was one problem in the execution of an otherwise flawless registration. I accidentally registered for Chemistry. Chemistry is my least favorite subject IN THE WORLD. I nearly flunked it in high school (my first term I managed a 65.6%, the lowest possible grade you can get and still pass. I'm pretty sure I dropped it the second term). The reason why I registered for it is because, here in art school, we have retarded course titles. Instead of calling a class "Design 101" we call it "Principles of Visual Communication." And, apparently, instead of calling a class "Chemistry" we call it "Molecules and Motives". I misread the title and thought it was Molecular Biology. Yikes. Big difference.
Other than that, it looks ok. Computer classes, one (only ONE- hallelujah!) art class called Color Theory (which means from here on out I can work in color, yesssss!), and scriptwriting with the most amazing teacher at our entire school. Her name is Jackie and she used to be the head of our department. The thing is, department heads are full-time, while most of our other staff is part-time because they are working in the field. Well, Jackie sold a script last summer, and is in the middle of working on a $10 million movie. So she pulled out as dept head but is still teaching this class because she is basically a freaking genius. I am so excited to work with her. That class will be extremely difficult but I didn't realize I would be taking it so early on. Usually most students take it their sophmore/junior year (the years run together, since we only have three, and it depends on your registration schedules). But I knocked out 12 english credits before and during my first term here, so I get to take it more than a year early.

In other news, everyone went back to school. My high school buddies are gone. This time it wasn't as sad watching them go. I will still miss them, of course, but I don't feel lonely here anymore. Still, it will be good to have them home for the summer. Maybe I can convince Brianna to stay here. Out of everyone, I miss her the most. California is just too far.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

welcome back to the rank and file of academia. computer classes are something i didnt have the luxury of when i was your age. we had to paint pictures on cardboard boxes and watch them. we also didnt have chocolate. we ate brown rocks.

also: nice to see you the other night and share two sentences w/you. thank you for doing me that favor.

Anonymous said...

Good choice. Keep at it and get the degree. It would be in your best interests.

Paulos said...

Yeah, it's best to have some formal credentials it makes a huge difference.