Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Galatians 1 + 2

So I was up last night thinking, and I decided maybe a good way to be sticking to my Bible study would be to write about it every day. I am very inconsistent with regular journaling because I hate having to write. So typing it is. For now.
I am starting in Galatians; today I read chapters 1 + 2. It's interesting because I don't think I have actually read through this book on my own before. I've learned most of the Bible by osmosis and not because I am a dedicated student myself. Mostly it is because of my parents and Justin and Tom that I have any Biblical knowledge whatsoever.
So I read some background on this book before I started it, and it turns out that the Galatians were living around modern-day Turkey around the time this letter was written. They were Gauls. I know about the Gauls from Western Civ and from French (they spread out to that area, in fact they were pretty widely dispersed around Europe). It can be interesting connecting my historical knowledge with a Biblical context... I am certainly no student of history either, but for the parts I remember it helps having some connection with the culture and understanding of thier history.
Anyway, Paul wrote to the Galatians to address some doctrinal issues in the church, specifically the Jewish laws that were still being taught as a necessity for salvation and the fact that some people were questioning his authority as a teacher because he was not originally called by God as a disciple. He shares his testimony for the first couple chapters, which is pretty rad... he was totally immersed in Jewish law/custom and in opposition to the Christian church until God intervened (insert road to Damascus story) and called him to ministry. And from the way he writes, it sounds like he went immediately. It is a little convicting to read about how quick he was with his obedience (he says, "I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went *immediately* into Arabia and later returned to Damascus"). Um, wow. I am thinking about how many obstacles I put in my own way before I am willing to obey God. Even in small things. I cannot imagine picking up my entire life right now simply out of obedience. In my own way I am trying to follow his calling, but it comes out more like a crawl- a two steps forward, one step back kind of thing- and I am totally blown away by Paul's immediate obedience.
Later, Paul finally goes to visit the other apostles in Jerusalem, and tells them about his calling, and here is another part that really interests me. He tells them about his passion for people and they agree that they are being called to different people groups. James, Peter and John are being called to the Jews, while Paul and Barnabas are called to the Gentiles. I like that they go through this process and remain supportive of each other, and I also like how God shows they have different callings and that both are important to the kingdom. It made me think of Ethnos- how some are called to Portland, some to India or Africa or wherever. Sometimes I struggle with frustration that other people don't share the same specific passions I do, or for the same specific people group. I forget we are all called to serve in different areas and all are important and pleasing to God. Some are simply better-equipped for one ministry than for another.
My favorite part of the conversation, though, is that although they agree to go different ways in ministry, the one thing they agree on is that they should "continue to remember the poor." This seems to transcend all other cultural boundaries, and I love that. It seems like no matter who else they are called to serve, they are also called to the poor. I also like Paul's response to this... he basically says it was "the very thing I was eager to do." Like, yeah. The poor. Of course.
There are other things that stand out to me in this passage, but they are less of new observations and more a revival of old convictions. It is very clear we cannot earn or acheive salvation somehow. I see the same struggle in this passage as I feel in my own heart, with living in light of crucifixion rather than in light of the Law. Obedience is supposed to come out of love and respect, and not obligation. I have been learning this all over again with mom and dad. I spent the last few days at their house and I have just realized how much I actually want to obey or help out, rather than having to get nagged to do so. Mom will ask me to do something and two seconds later, it is done. I never have done that before and I realize how much it is a product of my respect and love for them; being truly thankful for all they have given me.
I don't know if I am quite there yet with God, to be honest. I know I have an infinite number of reasons to be thankful but I am still struggling through the same stuff that has been rooted there for almost two years. I think with God it is going to take more effort.
Anyway, that is all I have for now. I could probably write some more but I have class in a half hour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Galations a lot. I started in Galations last summer, and have been journaling straight through the New Testament from there. I've only made it to Colossians so far (almost done with it). There's a lot of cool stuff in Galations. I like a lot of the talk about faith and the law, and the unity found in Christ.