Friday, March 10, 2006

meet my 5 best friends-- the Crew.

Spring break is coming soon, which means my favorite people in the world will be coming home from college. In honor of their return here are a few interesting facts about each of them.

5. KESS

This is my friend Daniel. We have been friends since 6th grade, which is around 8 years. Of all of my friends he is the one I have stayed closest to for the longest. We have a very affectionate relationship based on hugs and sarcastic remarks.
When I met Daniel in 6th grade he was a major dweeb with big nerdy glasses and a tie-dyed shirt he wore LITERALLY every day. He was in every single one of my classes and he annoyed the crap out of me. In 7th grade he moved to a different school and so we were apart for a year, but we managed to stay in contact until I eventually transferred to his new school in 8th grade. In fact he tried to date me every year from 6th grade through our sophmore year of high school, when he met his girlfriend Mel (who he very recently broke up with).
In high school Daniel became super cool when he joined the football team and people started calling him by his last name (Kessler). But on the inside he was still a major nerd. He and my brother and I formed an unstoppable trio of secret nerdiness. On the weekends he would come over and we would play video games, Magic and Axis and Allies. Our last couple years of high school Kessler formed an extremely close friendship with a math teacher at our high school and would spend his lunch periods hanging out with him discussing the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.
Senior year Kessler got really into drama and was in a bunch of plays so I saw a lot less of him, being the type of person who avoids thespians at all costs. However he was still around pretty much all of the time as the kind of big-brotherly protective best guy friend that every girl wants. He threatened to kick a few of my boyfriends asses when they were being mean to me.
Now he lives up in Seattle and he is going to Seattle Pacific University. He wants to be a Special education instructor when he graduates. Laziness has led us to affectionately shorten his nickname to "Kess". That same laziness has also prevented most major communication for the past few months, although I have gone up to visit him once and he has come down to visit me. I am excited to see Kess over the break. I love this kid!

4. DANIEL MY BROTHER

Speaking of the unstoppable trio of nerdiness, my brother was also a key player in high school. Mostly we hung with the same crowd because he dated my best friend up until my junior year. He is around all of the time now because he lives at my parents house, so I don't have to miss him a lot, which is good.
I would love to lie and say my brother and I have always been good friends, but that is simply too large a lie. Like most siblings we had our rough times. One particular example of this was when he was in 7th grade (I was in 5th) my mom chose to pull us both out of public school and homeschool us for a year. Daniel and I thus suffered through the unique privilege of spending every waking moment of our lives together. At 10 and 13 years old there is really nothing worse than this. We fought about everything. One time he hit me in the mouth with a bowl because I took the last piece of cheese out of the refrigerator. I bled profusely and was worried my tooth was going to fall out, but my mom really took no notice of the situation because that was a typical day around our house.
It took me several years to get back at my brother for this act but I finally got my sweet revenge when we were both in high school. I had just broken up with my boyfriend and was having a bad day and had decided to come home and take a nap on the couch. Well my brother came in and started harassing me about letting the dog in. I took it for about two minutes before I full-on punched him in the face, breaking his nose. (let me just note here though, that I cannot be blamed for the overall appearance of his nose. it has always looked weird, even before i broke it)
We didn't talk for a few days after that incident but now it is a funny story we tell about how crazy I am. It seems we all have our moments.
For the most part since then, the two of us have gotten along extremely well. He is very good at talking about his feelings, so it is really fun to hang out with him and hear about his philosophy on life, etc. When he graduated from high school he went to Fox for two years and I really didn't like not being able to hang out with him regularly. Our entire group of friends, who were all two years younger, missed him like crazy.
Recently he has become a car salesman though and like I said he is still around, so that is very very good!

3. CAPTAIN KIRK

This is my friend Kristin Kirk. She is insane.
My story of Daniel naturally leads into the story of Kristin because she is the girl I mentioned who dated my brother. It was pretty sketch actually. One night I invited her over to spend the night at my house. When I realized she wasn't around and went looking for her, I found her playing a game of Sorry with my brother. Two weeks later they started dating.
The Daniel and Kristin relationship was an interesting subplot of high school for the entire Crew, but most of all for me. I learned many things I did not want to know about both of them because neither have yet learned basic rules of social appropriateness.
Our friendship was formed around ridiculous stunts and childish activities. In fact you can pretty much sum up our entire relationship in just the above picture. For a year we both worked at Phoseon (my dad's company) and bonded over the hell that is working in an office. She is the kind of person who if you were sitting at home bored like, "Hey what should we do?" would somehow convince you to go ride kids bikes around the inside of Target, perform an impropmtu water ballet at a public fountain or go streaking across the golf course. I am pretty shy so it was really funny we formed such a close bond, but she is the funnest person I have ever met.
Kristin is also highly motivated and because of that she graduated high school a year early and is now powering her way through her sophmore year of college. She is majoring in business and minoring in theater, and her new boyfriend Jon is a BAMF. I like him. Over the three years she dated Daniel she became so close with all of us that she is literally a member of our family. She was the fourth part of our Kess-Daniel-Ciara trio, and although she didn't share our nerdiness, we were all four inseperable. We formed dirty acronyms to commemorate our friendship and had them printed on shirts. These shirts have been retired due to the offensive nature of the slogan "COKK for Life!"

2. CARISSIMA, MY SWEET KITTEN

Also known as Brianna, or Brise. Brianna and I have also known each other since 6th grade. In fact the three of us ran in the same crowd in 6th grade, but weren't exactly friends. It wasn't until our freshman year of highschool that we became buds and even after that, we were not as close with each other as with other members of the Crew (in the early days there were many more- KRogan, KT, NickSparr and Bebo were the most devoted members- but I have chosen these 5 for longevity, since I have lost interest in the others since they went away to college). Anyway, our junior year of high school we became best friends.
Brianna and I are incredibly similar in the way that we relate to people, and that has made our friendship really deep but also really difficult. She knows and understands me better than anyone, except for Matt. I like that with Brise I don't have to explain anything but can just be me and she knows why that is. However. We can both get really sensitive and miscommunication hurts. The good thing about that, though, is that we always manage to fix things and because of that we have the strongest friendship I have ever experienced. She is a truly amazing person.
One major problem in our friendship has been her hygiene. Brianna rarely showers. I shower 2 times a day. One time she started growing dreads just because she had not bathed properly in a couple of months. Brianna also likes to do things that aggravate me like pick food of off my plate when she knows sharing saliva germs makes me cry.
Like Kristin and crazy activities, Brianna and I have built a relationship around crappy music. We bond over songs like Korn's "Y'All Want A Single", The Backstreet Boys' "Hey Mr. DJ," and the work of many Christian rappers. She once made me an entire mix tape (yes, it was a tape) of Christian rap that spent an entire summer in my car's tape player. It was a nice gift that prevented unnecessary passengers from staying in my vehicle for extended amounts of time.
Now Brianna goes to school in SoCal at Vanguard, and she is majoring in theater. She is a very good actress, and if I ever make fiction movies I will probably hire her to act as the crazy chick, because she plays that part really well.

1. MAS

This boy really needs no explanation, because I have spent half of my blog going off about how amazing he is. But this is my best friend Matt, who I ahve been best friends with for two years. (We call him Mas sometimes for the same reason we call Daniel "Kess", his last name is Masunari and the baseball team shortened it out of the laziness we chose to refer to as "affection"). Matt is the smartest person I have ever met. He is also a very talented writer. He is at OSU majoring in history and philosophy. He wants to be a police officer when he grows up, just like his daddy. His daddy died when Matt was pretty young so I never got to meet him, but the rest of his family is amazing. He has a little brother who is the funniest person on the entire planet (his name is Nathan and I love him almost equally).
Our senior year Matt and I spent every moment together. Literally. We had two classes together (out of four) and we worked out together every day after school and skiied together every weekend. On days when we got out of class early we would hang out after school and play video games in between school and practice (which was at, like, 5). I can't think of a single thing we did seperately, except for sleep. We even carpooled to school together sometimes, which really didn't make sense because it was not a convenient carpool at all. I was pretty good friends with his girlfriend Laura (who is the chillest girl on the planet and a really talented rock climber) and the four of us (Me and Garrett, Matt and Laura) went to Sadie Hawkins and Prom together senior year. In the summers we go on hikes because Matt and Laura are search and rescue volunteers and are really into outdoorsy stuff. One time when we were hiking up Eagle Creek a girl in front of us on the trail collapsed and cut her knee, and Matt ripped off his shirt to bandage her wound. He is pretty badass.
This is but a fraction of why I love Matt.

ALL OF THESE PEOPLE (except for Brianna, who is going to visit her sister on the East Coast) will be home in TWO WEEKS and I COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED!!

No comments: