Tuesday, July 04, 2006

It's been exactly one week.

And this past week has been a rough one. I never could have predicted all of the emotional trauma that goes along with the situation my family is in right now. But in the midst of that, I have been learning some very real truths, things I don't think I would have learned any other way. For example:
1. GOD ANSWERS PRAYERS. He answers them in real and powerful ways that I cannot predict or imagine. HE IS GOOD, and he is in control. That fact alone is enough to guide me through any really difficult situation.
2. OPENNESS AND HONESTY IS INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT. Hiding your feelings from people only makes things worse. To be happy and satisfied in relationships I believe we have to be real, be vulnerable, and choose sometimes a path that leads to hurt. This is a really hard lesson for me. I don't like to be honest about how I'm feeling. If I can avoid it I usually choose to. But I see parallels in myself and my brother. Specifically in the unwillingness to ask for help when we need it. I have been increasingly aware of the pain I cause myself in hiding my needs/insecurities from other people. No, it does not feel better to get them out. But I don't think the point is for me to feel better. I think the point is that I need to interact with others in a healthy way. Initially that hurts. Over time, it becomes something good and fruitful.
3. I LOVE MY FAMILY MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET. No matter how much drama, fear, and no matter how many mistakes, my love for these people is absolutely overwhelming. In the past week it has gotten even stronger. They have always been such a blessing to me, and I can't imagine life without any one of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love you. it was good to see you tonight.
-hoby

Jenn Sanders said...

I love you to death. It's exciting to see/hear about what you are learning about God and yourself.