Monday, July 24, 2006

USAMRIID

So for those of you who don't know I also have another blog about science-y stuff. I don't post there as often because it depends on how much time I have to do research. It is a lot harder to write about intellectual things than it is to ramble on and on about how I'm feeling and what I've been up to. So this blog gets more attention from me. But what I wrote about today really has to do with my life just as much as it has to do with science, soooo... you can check it out, if you're interested.
Here is the link.

Also, if anyone out there is interested in infectious diseases, you should check out Richard Preston's books: The Hot Zone (about Ebola) and Demon In The Freezer (about the 2001 Anthrax scare, and the threat of a future smallpox outbreak). I finished the first one about a week ago, and I just bought the second book today... and they are freaking good.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

i read the hot zone (it was forced upon me by an ex, it was her favorite book) and am reading a book right now about the 1918 flu epidemic. pretty crazy how far weve come in eighty short years, but also we havent gottten anywhere. viruses and bacteria still kick our lowly asses.

Anonymous said...

The link to your other blog isn't working correctly.

beatlesxforxsale said...

right you are... i just fixed it. =)

terry-- my bio teacher last term talked about that flu epidemic extensively... i've been wanting to read up on it. What book are you reading, and do you recommend it?

Did you like The Hot Zone?

Anonymous said...

wait- if you have money to buy new books, WHY haven't you bought 'the new epidemic' yet? (or whatever it's called)

?!?!?!!

beatlesxforxsale said...

the coming plague? i did-- yesterday.

Anonymous said...

yay!

Unknown said...

hot zone was good, but i didnt read it alone, i had so many other reads going on @ the time as well, so i couldnt really enjoy it as much as i anticipated i would.

Unknown said...

PS why dont you ever comment on my blog?

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»