Sunday, July 30, 2006

This morning I went and visited Solid Rock Fellowship out in Beaverton. It was actually kind of nice. I met some cool people and got to say hi to a few people I haven't seen since my BCC days. The teaching was not too bad, although the worship was a little stuffy (they told us when to sit down and stand up, and since literally no one in the church would do either unless instructed, it made you feel a little awkward doing something different). Phil Comer told this cool story about how his wife's parents' house burned down the week before (that's not the cool part). They just barely survived. Had the firemen shown up even 30 seconds later than they did they would probably have died in the fire. That in itself was a small miracle.
But here is the cool part: out of everything in the house, only two items were salvaged. The first was an iPod (he said it even tried once to turn on despite the fact that the casing was melted. That's a Mac product for ya...) and the second was their family Bible. The Bible had been a gift from his wife to her mother when she was 15, and she had written an inscription in it and everything. It looked literally untouched, and every single thing around it was burned beyond recognition.
The really cool part is that Phil preached out of that bible this morning. It made me smile all service long.


Today in my quiet time I read Philippians 1. And it is a pretty cool prayer that Paul prays for these people:
"And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ-- to the glory and praise of God." -Phil 1:9-11

I decided to pray this for everyone I know, and watch and see how God blesses them with these things.

Okay... and now I'm off to the aeroport to meet my Mr. Amazing (I can't believe it's time already!!!)

No comments: