Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Came across this passage a couple of days ago in my quiet time. It's the first time I've read it in years, and maybe the first time I've actually thought about what it means.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails." -1 Cor 13:5-8

I wonder how many times I've told people I've loved them without really thinking about what love means. I'm impatient. I am envious, I am too proud to share my true feelings, I am mean to the people I care about. I get angry too often. I don't trust easily and I lose trust quickly. A lot of the time, I feel like giving up on people because they aren't meeting my expectations.
Is that love? Because it really doesn't sound like it...

The next time I say it, I really want it to be true.

2 comments:

Jenn Sanders said...

I love that you think about this. It is good for us to be reminded...

Anonymous said...

I've had similar thoughts for quite a while now. I think it would be easier if I could understand more fully who I am and how I act.