Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I hesitate to talk about this because I'm tired of being such a downer. Not that I am necessarily worried about depressing other people, although I do probably have this tendency at times. But I am tired of depressing myself. I really do want to be happy. I have been doing so much better lately, in spite of everything that has been happening. I think for a couple of years now I've believed it would be impossible for me to ever be happy again. Which may sound silly, but it's still something I struggle with. And why try to work toward something you don't believe you can acheive?
In the past couple of months I've been working over a few things. Finding my passions and engaging them. Dealing with grief. Focusing my attention outward (on helping other people whose experiences I can relate to) rather than focusing it inward (on self-pity). I feel like I am finally coming up for air. I have wanted this so badly for so long that I can't even express in words how good it feels to experience happiness or excitement about something again. It feels electric. I catch myself actually smiling for real instead of faking it. I just feel relieved. Like all hope is not lost. I'm not going to be sad forever.
Not that I am there yet. I realize that. Grief is a long road and I'm sure I'm still somewhere near the beginning of it. And still looking just as frantically for the off-ramp. But it somehow seems manageable. I've found a balance between respecting and remembering the things I've lost, and allowing myself to look toward the future.
That is a big deal... I don't know if anyone can truly grasp the weight of that statement.

With all of that going for me right now, I am afraid to bring up something bad. I am afraid of settling back into old habits, or even thinking through this event.
Basically, on Sunday, my friend Doug died. He went to my high school and he had muscular dystrophy. He was one of the nicest people I have ever known. He died of viral pneumonia. Which is how Caitie's dad died. And what my dad had a few weeks ago when he ended up in the hospital. Scary.
I don't know how I should react. Surely there is some boundary on what you choose to let affect you and how deeply. I am all too familiar with this specific feeling. But it does not matter if you have lost one person or a dozen people, it never gets any easier to deal with.
Before I prayed that God would give me rest, and he didn't. So I prayed that God would give me strength, and for a long time he didn't do that either. But I do believe he is beginning to answer some of my prayers. I don't think he has in mind for me to live an easy life, or one free of pain. But I do believe he is patiently teaching me how to find joy in the midst of suffering.
I am trying really hard to be teachable.


"Whether or not it is clear to you,
No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
Whatever you conceive Him to be,
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
In the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
It is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy."
-Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

6 comments:

Laura Anne said...

I too, feel like God neglects to answer my prayers. I wonder why it is so (seemingly) easy for Him to answer others' prayers, but not mine. Maybe in the future I will understand why, but right now I think God wants me to be faithful despite the unanswered prayers--which is unbelieveably hard.

I like how you are learning to find joy despite the sorrow in your life. That's hard, and I can relate. I like to find joy in the little things...its easiest and allows your to shift your focus to the simpler things in life for a while.

It sucks, but no one said life would be easy. I'm finding that out more and more each day. It's the hope for the future that keeps me going.

Jenn Sanders said...

I love you girl and I am sorry about your friend Doug.
It is good to hear that you are seeking out your passions and what to do with them. Seek out who God wants you to be... that's quite a thing in it's self... but it's well worth it.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had access to the internet for most of the trip. But I woke up really early this morning so I got to check your blog at the cafe. I'm sorry about Doug. I tried to call you but the timing is always weird and your voicemail has serious problems.
Here is what's up:
-Eli has been really sick and yesterday didn't even leave the hostel. I think he is doing a little better this morning.
-It has been crazy adjusting to the jet lag. The first couple days were a blur. They saved the museums until today and yesterday. Yesterday we went to the Musee d'Orsay. You would have loved it. There is some seriously amazing art here. Today we are going to the Louvre.
-Tomorrow we are leaving Paris and driving to Marseille. Which is a long drive. Some of the other DMPs are planning a side trip to chauteau d'if. I figured you'd appreciate that since I know you love the Count of Monte Cristo. It's right outside Marseille.

There is a lot more to tell but I'm out of time. I have to be back at the hostel at 10 to meet up with everyone.
I will try and call you later if I get the chance. We are 9 hours ahead of you so it's hard to find a good time for both of us. If not I will try emailing you later.
miss you
-alex

Anonymous said...

I love you, bebe. I REALLY miss you. Why didn't we go to Paris with Alex? That is really unfair.

I want you to know a couple things:
I am sorry Doug died.
I am really proud of you for thinking through this and expressing your thoughts- I don't know if you feel that you did a good job, but I think you did a good job.
I am really excited for you about the mike and rick stuff. (When's the last time you saw Rick?) That statement sounds really trite and I can't really make it sound better but, I am happy for you. I'm happy you feel like you're making progress and the 'balance between remembering what you've lost and looking toward the future' seems crucial, and I'm glad you've discovered that.
AND
I want to encourage you by (giving you a hug) telling you that you've done a good job on focusing your attention outward (me, the church, your friends and family) and less on yourself. You've been so supportive and encouraging to me in the past few weeks/months and I appreciate it and I want you to know!

I love you kid!

beatlesxforxsale said...

Thanks Laura and Jenn for your thoughts. I missed seeing you both this week.

AND to the other two of you... wow, I miss you both a lot. And I'm glad you're having fun on your trips. and you BOTH need to call me!

Angie said...

I am sorry to hear about your friend. I'll be praying for you. Love you. *HUGS*