Monday, June 12, 2006

one down and two to go. I executed a fairly well-written 5-page research paper this morning in roughly an hour and a half, thanks to Brandon's inability to communicate clearly or DO ANY WORK OF HIS OWN.
AUGH.
If I had known it was going to come down to me shouldering the research load for the whole team, I would have done it weeks ago and written the best paper possible. I know this topic like the back of my hand. I could have done that. But instead I crammed it in at the last minute, picking up slack for two of the laziest people alive, who will probably walk away from this class with A's because of MY hard work.
AHHHHH. I hate that.

I also submitted a second draft for my theory of natural selection/description of selective pressures essay.

Then I sat in Powell's and typed 15 pages of script. And assembled them like a madman.

I went to turn in my portfolio and Jackie told me to go home. Apparently I looked like I was about to die. Which was about right, because that's how I felt. As I turned to leave she stopped me, saying, "I'm looking forward to working with you in the future, and I'd like you to think over break about the possibility of working on an independent study later in your career here."
Oh hell yes.
Jackie loves me.
Of course, she hasn't read my script yet. When she does, she might change her mind.
I'm hoping for a B + in that class.

Then I skipped over to Bill's office to drop off my final essay. We talked about anatomy, physiology and biomechanics. I asked him for some advice on whether or not to pursue science as a possible career field. We talked about it extensively. He encouraged me to take every science class I could fit into my schedule between now and graduation. That will put me in a better position for a master's program, although his recommendation was just to get a second Bachelor's degree. (random tangent-- The thing I don't get is, right now I'm working toward a BS, not a BFA. If I already have a BS shoudln't it be much easier to get a graduate degree in a science field? I haven't researched it enough so I don't know for sure... anyway, yeah. Whatever. ) Of course he recommended OSU (he taught there for years). I was planning on going there originally, so it's kind of a bummer. I know I am doing exactly what God wants for me, but I still feel like there are other talents/skills I should be pursuing. I could have so easily majored in English, Psychology, Biology, etc. Even Biblical Studies. I considered all of these things and I settled on film. I'm hoping that wasn't a poor choice. I love my major more than anything in the world, and I am so looking forward to being able to use these skills to glorify the kingdom. But I am leaving so much out!
I just want to be sure I am doing what's best, that I am not closing the door to something I could find satisfaction and joy in. Am I doing something good right now? Am I doing what I can do best? And am I doing it to the best of my ability?

Starting wednesday, I have a break until July 10th. I'm so happy I could cry.
I need money though. Does anyone need their house painted?

3 comments:

T said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
T said...

You would think that a BS would position you better for masters study in science, but the funny thing is that grad schools don't really seem to care whether you are a BS or BA. I have a friend in med school after getting a BA in Sociology and another who is getting his MBA after getting his BS in Psychology and Environmental Sciences. I am going for an MDiv (more of an arts/theolgy degree than anything) after getting a BS in Management, and I could just as easily move into an MAET (Masters of Arts in Exegetical Theology) or an MA in Industrial/Organizational Psycholgy.

I would say just get your degree, graduate with a good GPA and a well rounded skillset and courseload and you will be able to do what you like from there.

And yes... I know someone who needs a house painted! Can you give me a bid? :)

Paulos said...

Is Ciara a good painter? I could use a bathroom painted...