Wednesday, June 14, 2006

CS Lewis's A Grief Observed

"It is hard to have patience with people who say, 'There is no death,' or, 'Death doesn't matter'. There is death. And whatever it is, matters. And whatever happens has consequences, and it and they are irrevocable and irreversible. You might as well say that birth doesn't matter.
I look up at the night sky. Is anything more certain than that in all those vast times and places, if I were allowed to search them, I should nowhere find her face, her voice, her touch? She died. She is dead. Is the word so difficult to learn?"

i wish someone had told me about this book two years ago. i was only sixteen; i could not find words. how could anyone else understand when i couldn't even understand myself? after all, i was the only one who knew how it felt to lose someone.