Sunday, October 29, 2006

some funny little blessings

So Jeremy got me a job working at the Starbucks branch he manages. It is perfect since it's within walking distance of our house and it will be something I can continue after I go back to school. It's only part time though, and I wanted full time, so I was praying for some other money making opportunities, and hoping for something more within my skill set (like a design job).
Now here is a cool thing that happened today at church. Justin mentioned the VisGrace video I made, and Brad said to me, "Oh Ciara, I didn't know you did videos!" I looked at him like, duh Brad. I'm in film school. Apparently he didn't know this. So we talked for a while and he said he wanted help doing videos for Luis Palau. I said, sorry, I can't volunteer my time unless I'm going to get paid for my work. He said, of course we will pay you. Probably around $500-$800. He asked for some samples of my work, and I said I would get him some, so he could show the board and they could decide whether or not they want to hire me. Then he mentioned he needs videos for something he's doing next Saturday. I offered to do the video for Saturday for free, and he can hire me based on the quality of work I do for that.
Then he said that if I do a good job and it works out for me at the Palau association, he has tons of evangelist friends that are looking for cheap video editing services. Since I have free access to amazing equipment through school, and I'm working on my own, this is basically straight profit for me, and he could get my name out to his friends.
Why this is cool, is because starting something like that and building up a client base right now puts me well on my way to being able to start my own business if I wanted to. Stuff like this spreads by word of mouth through networking with people. And it would be a pretty cool opportunity, especially doing something that I am actually trained to do.
So hopefully I don't blow that opportunity.
Also, my first day at Starbucks is tomorrow. It's just paperwork and training and stuff. But... I'm excited!

12 comments:

Ashby said...

You didn't tell me you got a job! Hooray!

(I'm sorry I can't pay you to make videos, et cetera. But hopefully they can beef up your virtual portfolio?)

Anonymous said...

And hey, if some of these peeps need web work done, you know who's name you could start dropping...

Paulos said...

yay, congrats :)

Ashby said...

whoa there Matt, I thought you didn't have time?! Remember, your primary allegience should be with the people who are unable to pay you. (ahem).

Paulos said...

Yeah Ashby needs webwork, her blog still has the link titled "graceworks internataional"

beatlesxforxsale said...

Matt, I will make you a deal. I'll drop your name to my clients if you drop my name to yours... :D

Jenn Sanders said...

I'm so jealous! Starbucks! I want to work there!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's a good deal. I'm sensing some mutual business opportunities here. Not that I really have any business opportunities to begin with...

Of course I don't have time, Ashby! Unless of course I've got paying customers. Then there's time.

Ashby said...

This is what I'm saying. Your priorities are SO BACKWARDS.

Dave Ketah said...

As long as we are talking about opportunities, I'd like to offer you (Ciara, Matt, anyone else) an opportunity to develop videos and a website for a new church plant sometime next year. The pay will be unmatchable by your other "paying" jobs. The compensation is an imperishable reward paid out by a VERY capable source!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, man my priorities are just terrible. Absolutely horrible. I'll have to work on that.

You better think of a name if you want a website, Dave!

Unknown said...

you finally caved in to the man eh? starbucks will destroy your soul.