Wednesday, October 18, 2006

what the... ?

Right now I am studying the use of symbolism in Early Rennaissance art in Northern Europe. This piece is Robert Campin's Merode Altarpiece and it is a depiction of the Annunciation. That means the Angel Gabriel is here telling the virgin Mary that she is going to bear the Christ child. (Ironically, Mary doesn't seem to care too much, but that is another story...)
Let me just say, before I make fun, that this is an amazing piece of art with some unique symbolism and incredible depth (note the hyper-realism: it actually shows more details that the human eye is capable of perceiving all at once, making it more impressive than a photograph... although, admittedly, Campin's perspective could use a bit of work).
However. My favorite part of the painting (and something that I can't help but laugh at) is the teeny tiny, cross-toting naked baby Jesus flying through the air in a ray of sunshine. Can't see him? Click on the picture and look at the figure above Gabriel's wing.

4 comments:

Angie said...

...And it's heading straight for that point of lite on Mary's robs! Look out, Mary!!!

Anonymous said...

Haha, how ironic, "Hey Mary, you are going to give birth to the thing flying over my head, but don't worry He'll be life size!" (Am I going to get struck by lightening for that?)

Ashby said...

WOW.

just a guy said...

I see Him! I see Him!!