Friday, August 25, 2006

dinner conversation

(we were having a discussion about our past gym teachers and I was pointing out the irony in that many gym teachers are either overweight or severely underweight, and few are actually healthy)

DANIEL: Mr. Schmidt was pretty in shape.
ME: Not really. He had a bit of a beer belly.
MOM: Yeah, he did.
DANIEL: Well, he was maybe like-- ten pounds overweight.
ME: (laughing) Yeah... ten pounds of beer belly!
DANIEL: Well, who isn't ten pounds overweight?
MOM: In America... probably like 25% of people.
ME: Except for young people. I'd say the majority of young people are in shape.
DANIEL: But Mr. Schmidt wasn't young.
ME: (slightly annoyed) Okay... what's your point?
DANIEL: (argumentative) He wasn't overweight. Ten pounds is not overweight.
ME: Fine, whatever.
DANIEL: Actually he was in pretty good shape, you just don't know what you're talking about. You probably don't remember.
ME: Okay. Whatever. You're probably right and I'm probably wrong.
DANIEL: Yeah. I am.
(At which point he glares at me and there is a long pause in the conversation.)
MOM: I sense some tension between you two.
DANIEL: Yeah, I don't know what's wrong with her, but she's been a snothead all day. (The only conversation I'd had with him prior to this one was when I sat next to him for a half an hour and helped him spell out words on his job application.)
REBECCA: Yeah. She has. (This was after taking her to the video store, paying for her video rental, giving her five extra bucks to go hang out with her friends tonight, agreeing to drive her the 30 minutes to where she was going, and telling her she could borrow the shirt my best friend bought me two weeks ago for my birthday-- and I have only worn once.)

At this point Daniel just gets up and leaves without saying anything else. I pointed out to my sister that I had actually been extremely nice to her, and that I have a lot going on this week. Two of my best friends just left for college, I have a huge project due tomorrow, and I'm supposed to be teaching the kids @ Ethnos on Sunday (for the first time ever-- and I'm really nervous about it). She just said, "Oh." And got up and left, too.
I am just tired of them. Conversations like this make me wonder why I try to accomodate them at all. They don't notice or choose to cut me (or my parents) ANY slack, even though we are redesigning our entire lives around making them happy.
AHHH.
This situation is so frustrating, I'm so tired, I feel like I'm working really hard to help them and they're just sitting on their asses soaking it all up and doing NOTHING to help themselves.
I don't even know what to say about it. I'm too upset to even think of any words.
Ugh.

6 comments:

Angie said...

Wow, you think dinner was bad...

Just wait till those E-kids are finished with you. I will miss you. :O)

Angie said...

Actually, Wes and I are also teaching. We'll be doing our second week on fruit. Let me know if you need any help with anything. I'll be doing a lot of figuring stuff out tomorrow.

beatlesxforxsale said...

Thanks, Angie. I'm doing fruit too. I think I have a plan worked out, I'm just a little nervous about crowd control. Although... the Rameys are on vacation, so I can only think of 6 or 7 kids who will be there.
So it might not be too bad ;-)

Tom Tom said...

my junior high gym teacher ran a 4 minute mile.
my high school gym teacher married a student.

no way to tell i guess.

oh yeah these conversations are frustrating.

Unknown said...

crap, that wasnt my cousin that said that previous comment. IT WAS ME!

Anonymous said...

You will be good, bebe. Those kids love you and you are a good teacher. Do you have a helper? You're supposed to have a helper.