Monday, August 21, 2006

hermeneutics/philippians

For the hermeneutics study, we are reading through the book of Philippians a few times over the next couple of weeks. It's been a while since I've read this book in its entirety and I did so today for the first time since our meeting.
I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to skip ahead and start in on the historical context... because I feel like I would appreciate it all more if I understood it better, and right now I don't. But today, this passage really stood out to me, and I love it:

Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.
-Philippians 2:14-16 in ESV (the emphasis is my own)

I am so, so excited for this study... I'm thankful for the structure that it imposes on my study habits, and for the opportunity for community discussion, and the depth of information I'll be receiving. It has only been very recently that I've felt capable of grasping even the most basic elements and concepts of the bible... before then, I was so young, and got lost so easily by jumping to my own conclusions. So this is the first time I really feel capable of engaging these topics, and I'm so excited to finally be doing so...

No comments: