Wednesday, August 02, 2006

this is the soundtrack of my life

No joke. These are some of the most popular songs from each year of my life:

KINDERGARTEN: Tag Team- Whoomp! There It Is
1st GRADE: Melissa Etheridge- Come To My Window
2nd GRADE: TLC- Waterfalls

I remember serenading my crush--his name was Kevin Loughlin-- with this song in the library at Oak Hills. Only I didn't know any of the words, so it was basically just a lot of humming with the word waterfall thrown in at random times. Plus I mistook the word "chasing" for "kissing" and spent a year wondering how anyone could kiss a waterfall, and why one would want to.
3rd GRADE: Los Del Rio- Macarena
I desperately wish I could remove this song from my memory
4th GRADE: Chumbawamba- Tubthumpin’
The highlight of my life thus far was hearing my mom sing this song once when we were driving in the car. She did not know what it was about at all. But I bet if you asked her now she'd still be able to sing it. It was one of her favorite songs at the time.
5th GRADE: Will Smith- Miami
6th GRADE: Sixpence None The Richer- Kiss Me
7th GRADE: Sisquo- The Thong Song

thaaaaat thong tha thong thong THONG!
8th GRADE: Alien Ant Farm- Smooth Criminal
I had the hugest crush ever on the lead singer from this band. His lack of dancing skill continues to amaze me
FRESHMAN YEAR: Shakira- Whenever, Wherever
I secretly love Shakira. Well I guess it's not a secret anymore. But I definitely still love this song
SOPHMORE YEAR: Dashboard Confessional- Screaming Infidelities
This was the first time in my life I'd ever heard the word "emo".
JUNIOR YEAR: Hoobastank- The Reason
SENIOR YEAR: Green Day- Boulevard of Broken Dreams

the entire American Idiot album somehow managed to become the soundtrack to our senior year of high school. I call that excellent marketing on Green Day's part. In fact my freshman and sophmore years the only thing I remember listening to in my brothers car were International Superhits and some Jay-Z album. So anything Green Day reminds me of high school, even though technically I missed the Green Day Wave.

5 comments:

Laura Anne said...

Man! I'm getting old! I can sing any of the songs in my head until your 8th grade year. The songs past that are a little fuzzy....

Lightbulb moment: I'm going to be one of those moms who doesn't have a clue, aren't I? This sucks.

Paulos said...

Yeah though I can't sing them all they do strike a few memories. Though I must say you are very detailed to keep track of all the years / songs in your life.

Unknown said...

im not that far ahead of you. this is a bad ass post BTW, one i will have to mimic shamelessly.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it install bath tub on concrete card driver sis video Oxford health plan florida Order phendimetrazine discount Diazepam keyword Effexor er in pregnancy Pending us patent 106 Caravan awnings uk supplier