Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Movie Reviews from the Film Snob

A good movie:
THE PUFFY CHAIR

I loved it. The camerawork made me sick at first, but once the movie started up it was really enjoyable. By the end of the movie I was totally wrapped up in the characters and THE ENDING WAS SO GOOD.
If you liked Garden State and can handle independent films you will probably like this movie. PLEASE WATCH IT. IT'S SO GOOD.

A bad movie:
THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS (I know this movie is old but today I saw it for the first time)
Could be subject matter, could be the fact that I hate Wes Anderson and Bill Murray, could be Hollywood puking up another Owen Wilson character, I don't know. Unfunny and generally a waste of time. The setup is initially entertaining but lasts so far into the film that the crisis (Richie's attempted suicide? Royal getting kicked out of the house?) falls flat and the resolution feels like it will never, EVER come.
Wes Anderson has also directed such comedic gems (note my sarcasm) as Bottle Rocket and The Life Aquatic, which is the only movie in the history of my film experience that I have EVER turned off.
(I know people won't agree with me on this, but I don't care. Wes Anderson should quit wasting money making crappy movies.)

An okay movie:
THE ILLUSIONIST
Was only okay, which was a big disappointment for me. I have a soft spot for Edward Norton, and though he did well in this film, the overall plot was predictable and the script (at times) made me cringe. "The only mystery I have ever encountered is why my heart could not let you go?" Please.
The rest of the actors/actresses did a really good job as well. And the magic scenes (even though they are on film, and animated, and therefore not supposed to be actually impressive) were cool. I probably enjoyed the magic shows more than the rest of the movie. I wish the plot had been more interesting, because the concept of a movie about an Illusionist was a cool idea.

4 comments:

Steve Sheppard said...

Did you not like Rushmore? I guess you either like Wes or you hate him, like Bush or jalapeno stuffed olives. You hate Bill Murray??? I don't even know what to say - I'm in shock. I'm think I'm going to..faint..What..about..the..70s music..and..Gene..Hackman?Anyone...have...any...smelling...salts????....(a tear, gasp, and I'm out)

Unknown said...

you have never been more incorrect about any idea, thought, inkling or feeling in your entire existence.

A) anderson rocks my face off. both life aquatic and royal tennenbaums are among my favorite of favorites.
B) billy murray may be god incarnate, or the next dalai lama.
C) you are evil for thinking these thoughts and we are all dumber for having listened to them. may god have mercy on your soul.

beatlesxforxsale said...

Haha. Oh Terry. I'm not surprised at all by your ridicule. We never agree on important things (like whether God is real or Bill Murray is a good actor). And speaking of both, answer me this: if Bill Murray is god then can you please explain to me why he has committed the following crimes against humanity:
-Lost In Translation
-Groundhog Day
-What About Bob

?? (I did like Caddyshack, but in my opinion that was his only truly successful film venture.) ??

P.S. Steve, I have not seen Rushmore, so I guess I can't say I hate ALL of his movies, but judging by the last two I'm not inclined to. BUT. You're right. I do like Gene Hackman.

Unknown said...

one mans crime against humanity is anothers overt blessing. just think about text messaging.