Friday, September 01, 2006

I LOVE NATHAN. AND LIFE.

It's true.
But I will come back to that in a second.

The other day while I was sitting in the doctor's office waiting to get stabbed with a needle (I had to get a blood test... ugh) I read an interesting article in a medical journal. It said that people basically have a constant level of happiness. Some people are generally happy people, and some people are generally sad people. This can be affected by life circumstances like death of a loved one, birth of a child, etc. But the effects are only temporary. Generally people adjust to really good/bad circumstances to return to their emotional status quo.
Your level of happiness is based on personality or character traits, of which there are 24, including things like creativity, courage, loyalty etc. At the top of the list (the thing that provides the most enjoyment from life) is the ability to love and be loved.
The article went on to state that you can increase happiness by nurturing these traits. You can also do a variety of other activities that can help increase your level of happiness. Unfortunately, in the middle of reading about the activities, I got called in to the nurse's station. So I only read one. But the one I read was to spend time writing every day about the things that went well that day. Over time this helps you to become happier and more fulfilled w/life. I think that is probably true. It sounds true.
So I'm going to do it, not because I'm particularly sad at the moment (stressed might be a better word), but because WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE HAPPIER?

So here is what went well today:
-I cleaned my room and got started on my final project(s). Also when I washed my bedding I found five waterbottles tangled up in my bedsheets and blankets, which is nice because I was wondering where they all went. I fall asleep holding them and in the morning when I wake up they're lost. It is a sad thing.
-I had coffee with Ashby and we talked about the Bible and it was GREAT.
-I went out to dinner with my family (-the brother), which was both fun and relaxing
-I met with Sarah (my mentor, who I haven't hung out with in a couple weeks) and Justin and Rachel (who I also haven't hung out with much lately).
-I went to Nathan's house to visit with him and Ashby and I realized he had the third season of Arrested Development (which JUST came out). So I commented on how amazing that show was and how I'd never seen the third season and he said, "Oh, please borrow it!" So I did. (Which is why I love him.)

(As a side note, if you did not know this, Nathan started school @ Multnomah Bible College this week. I mention it because no one knows it because he didn't tell anyone. But I think it's really cool, and if you see him, ask him how classes are going, because people who are in school like to talk about school, and it's nice to encourage students. They appreciate it a lot.)

And with that I shall end this post and return to Arrested Development. =)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming you're asleep. My daddy ended up finishing them for me (see my blog) but they look good and I got to see Amie for like an hour and a half and I think everything's going to be okay.

Also I blogged about Nathan, too, even before I saw your blog. He is a nice boy. I'm glad our new favourite hobby is cheering him on (should he be the amazing this week? Maybe.)

Also I loved seeing you at coffee today too! Yay Galatians and coffee!

Angie said...

Nathaniel told me about school yesterday. I got to the Wolverton's before Rachel. So I ordered pizza and chatted with him for some time. He's a good kid. And so are you. :O)

Dave Ketah said...

Cool stuff on the happiness deal, it makes sense...

Unknown said...

i am in the relatively happy club, and i love it.